Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » New member from Michigan (Introduction)
New member from Michigan [message #33633] Tue, 21 October 2014 17:23 Go to next message
mikesab is currently offline  mikesab
Forum Newbie
Hi all,
Kind of a twisty turn-y story of how I ended up here.
(maybe boring but some might find it interesting, and it gives you some background on me an my single shot conversion)

I live in Michigan, and am an avid hunter and reloader.
Our state just recently allowed hunting in the shotgun zone with straight walled pistol calibered rifles (finally)
I already had been hunting this zone with a 10" 357max G2 pistol, but this new ruling sent me searching for a rifle length barrel and the stocks etc...

I couldn't find any 357max G2 rifle barrels available, but one seller told me he had only one 357 max stainless ENCORE barrel left, and he could ship it out asap. I am a big fan of very compact rifles, so I negotiated to have him cut and re-crown it to 19" and made the deal.
This of course put me in a predicament. I realize that this barrel will NOT fit on my G2 frame, but as any good american can tell you, any excuse where you "have to buy" another firearm is a good excuse.

I had the barrel coming, but needed a frame and grips/stocks, at which point Google led me here to a classified ad. Tada! deal made, I now have inbound
1- 19" 357max sts barrel
1- Pro hunter pistol frame and stocks/grips

and just because I love the suppressed 300 BLK round in everything I have shot it in, I ordered a 16.5" threaded 300BLK sts barrel from Sportsmansguide.

I am pretty excited to get all this together, as I love my G2 pistol, and can't wait to start working up rounds for the rifles...
I appreciate all the expertise and great info on this site.
Thanks!
I will post pics when it is all together.

Mike

Re: New member from Michigan [message #33635 is a reply to message #33633] Tue, 21 October 2014 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Welcome Mike. All of us will welcome your $$$ too as we help you with your new-found addiction, since we now know you can easily dream up a reason to get something to truly be a solid american. Now to round off you'll also have to understand that the G-1 Contender is a wonderful marvel as well.
Jim
Re: New member from Michigan [message #33638 is a reply to message #33635] Tue, 21 October 2014 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikesab is currently offline  mikesab
Forum Newbie
I see what you did there... Let me guess, you just might have a few G1's Rolling Eyes

Actually, the more than normal expenditure of cash was the result of liquidating a Rem 700 AAC-SD in .300blk and the coinciding of the new ruling for Michigan on the south zone hunting calibers, so don't get too excited. Smile

Thanks for the welcome though.
Re: New member from Michigan [message #33641 is a reply to message #33638] Wed, 22 October 2014 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Mike; I think, no I am sure that James' wording indicated what the rest of us poor souls already know that these things are infectious. They seem to multiply rather then dissipate from our safes. Yeah I think James has a few G1's but I also venture to say they are not for sale. Maybe a barrel here and there. I know that I have found out that I developed a real appetite for all things T/C.

You will find it hard to set tight on your wallet, but good luck with that. Welcome to the forum; best on the web and pull up a chair and join in. All input is welcome here, you will find a lot of useful information and some not so useful, but enjoy your tenure here. Welcome once again.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: New member from Michigan [message #33648 is a reply to message #33641] Wed, 22 October 2014 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Welcome to the board Mike.
I think you'll like it here as there are some good people here.
Have a good1. Mike
Re: New member from Michigan [message #34008 is a reply to message #33648] Fri, 14 November 2014 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

welcome aboard! some of the best folks around! get your wallet out Smile
Re: New member from Michigan [message #34010 is a reply to message #34008] Fri, 14 November 2014 10:33 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Just so you know, T/C chambered the 357 max in both the Super 16 and the 21" carbine barrels. They didn't factory release the 357 MAG, tho in 14's and longer, only 8 3/4 and 10's, both single and "hot-shot" variety (for a while). They all will fit and shoot with your G-2 frame, shorter and considerably lighter, quicker handling than with the encore. Since it's "shotgun zones" you're interested in, you *could* carry a 20 or 12 gauge rifled barrel with saboted bullets and holster carry a 357Max pistol version at the same time, scoped for those "in-case" where the range is a bit too far to trust the shotgun long-gun. Also as a quick pre-loaded "dispatcher" on a not quite dead deer, should that misfortune arise. That would allow for both single-shots to be carried out in the field, and not one frame screaming daddy likes the other better than me (you know how young kids can be sometimes). I don't have the 16 or 21, but do have a 14" I'm prepping to list soon. Your wallet is safe tho, I accept checks Wink .
Jim
Previous Topic: I can't believe it
Next Topic: Before I forget...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:18:02 EDT 2024