Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Encore locking bolts
Encore locking bolts [message #35060] Thu, 25 December 2014 20:40 Go to next message
mimccammon
Forum Newbie
Hey everybody! EABCO has locking bolts. Better get some while there hot. I bought three sets!!!!! Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 25 December 2014 20:42] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Encore locking bolts [message #35061 is a reply to message #35060] Thu, 25 December 2014 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I'm missing something here.I know that Crubear needed one of the halves. I was unaware that the are prone to breaking?????these are something that a typical encore owner needs to routinely replace or change out?
Contenders you may need to swap out one piece with 2's, what's with the encore locking bolt situation?
Jim

[Updated on: Thu, 25 December 2014 20:50]

Re: Encore locking bolts [message #35075 is a reply to message #35061] Fri, 26 December 2014 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mimccammon
Forum Newbie
Since Reeders Custom guns makes their own custom barrels and he can't get any from t/c alias smith and Wesson. I am going to have reeder make me another barrel and I furnish the locking bolts and extractor for the caliber I want.
Re: Encore locking bolts [message #35087 is a reply to message #35075] Sat, 27 December 2014 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
get 10 sets and SELL them to reeder and triple your money.
Re: Encore locking bolts [message #35148 is a reply to message #35087] Mon, 29 December 2014 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
No, they don't break under normal use. I got mine with a used barrel, along with the "I didn't know..." comment ftom the seller (not on here)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Encore locking bolts [message #35151 is a reply to message #35148] Mon, 29 December 2014 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Rich,
In defense of the seller, I can see where he may actually not have known (depends on where the break was). If the break was back in the slot behind the rectangular opening you can see from the side. I know you've had these apart, so you could picture this scenario. The roller sits in a groove across both halves. That keeps the two halves close to even with each other. The good one can easily keep the broke one appearing to be fine, spring tension keeping them pretty much even regardless of it the bolt haves are all the way out (like when the barrel is removed). The breech pushes both halves in when you close it. It could sit broke for years without detection. Only on removal of the roll pin keeper would you discover it. Even a full through crack in one half would be undetectable unless you looked in that opening from both sides. Was your's broke across the roller slot? If it was there, the exposed part had a chance to simply fall out, and the "I didn't know..." would be less plausible. Most people operate under the "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it", that includes routinely removing locking bolts. I remember you posting a pix of the broken one, but couldn't find it. T/C should have sent you a replacement, either for the broke half or a set. As I recall, they didn't and you gave up on that. I'd be calling them again and hoping to get a rep that doesn't just give lip service.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 29 December 2014 09:51]

Re: Encore locking bolts [message #35156 is a reply to message #35151] Mon, 29 December 2014 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The lug fell out when I opened the box, the break was before the pin. Otherwise I'd have lived with it. I did finally get a replacement from S&W, but still feel the seller was at the minimum - shady.

To those new to Encore/Contender, if you're curious why all the talk about locking bolts - it's mostly aimed at Contender barrels, NOT Encore. Early Contender barrels had bolts that were made in a single piece. They CAN be a bear to open, to the point of almost making the weapon useless. Later on TC change to a two piece bolt which made things MUCH nicer. Most of the talk you see is folks trying to find split bolts to replace singles.

The caveat to this is that it doesn't matter how new the barrel is, people have been changing sights and locking bolts from the very beginning. So just because you're buying an almost new barrel doesn't mean someone hasn't changed parts on you.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 29 December 2014 12:38]

Re: Encore locking bolts [message #35158 is a reply to message #35156] Mon, 29 December 2014 13:34 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
aptly put, Rich, Thank you. I'll add that a sight isn't just a sight, so not totally interchangeable between or even amongst barrels of a certain length. It's important to keep sights bagged and marked exactly what barrel it came off of. Tapered barrel sights won't work on a full bull, etc. a 16" rear or front won't work on just any 16, it has to have the right height leaf and/or front blade. All sight screws aren't the same length the fronts have two lengths, and have to be in the proper hole (longer in rear). Neither work for a rear, although rears are all the same length (one exception) and only work on all rears (except the one exception). Too long, it won't pull down tight, too short, they could pull loose. All of t/C's contender rail mounts use the same screws, and they are DIFFERENT from any sight screw both front or rear. I already know the blade/leaf combos for contenders, so I can make sure that the barrels I have have the proper sights, BUT you can't get tapered barrel sights from T/C-S&W Which screws me for 16's and 21's if they don't come with one or the other when I buy a barrel. That's why I ask if the barrel comes with the original sights, and I don't mean that it's just T/C made, I mean original as SHIPPED from the factory.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 29 December 2014 13:36]

Previous Topic: barrel lenght
Next Topic: Which caliber
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 20:22:20 EDT 2024