Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Front Sight
Front Sight [message #35689] Tue, 13 January 2015 12:54 Go to next message
Okiewind is currently offline  Okiewind
Forum Newbie
Hey to everybody! Glad I found this sight!
I have a barrel with the front sight bead knocked off. Where can I get the ivory beaded front sight at the correct height for a factory TC 30/-06 barrel? Also, does it matter which way you take it out of the dovetail?
Thanks!
Re: Front Sight [message #35691 is a reply to message #35689] Tue, 13 January 2015 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The bead is one of their brighter decision, but foolish in application. I'd try contacting S&W (call, don't email) first. Otherwise I'd try filling the hole in with white/orange/whatever nail polish.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Front Sight [message #35694 is a reply to message #35691] Tue, 13 January 2015 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
dovetail is parallel cut, goes in or out either direction. Call S&W, they should send you a replacement, they won't however give you one that wasn't factory issued. I assume your barrel is either a pistol barrel or the 24" 30-06.
Jim
Re: Front Sight [message #35707 is a reply to message #35694] Tue, 13 January 2015 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Even though T/C's might be parallel cut and even on both ends (I've never driven one out on a T/C to check), dovetails should always, as good practice, be driven out left to right and be driven in right to left. Most dovetail cuts actually are not the same on both sides. They are parallel cut, but the right side opening is usually slightly larger. They start out tight cut and then are tapered so that the right side is a few thousandths of an inch wider to accommodate the dovetail slipping into the cut more easily. I add this warning out of "good practice", as most dovetail cuts are made this way. You can really bugger up a lot of dovetails and their corresponding cuts by driving in or out the wrong way.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Front Sight [message #35722 is a reply to message #35707] Tue, 13 January 2015 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iowa Fox is currently offline  Iowa Fox
Forum Newbie
I have only done one on an Encore rifle barrel. I pushed it out left to right using oak strips, a small oak wood square block to match the dovetail, using a 2" c-clamp for the push. I Pushed it back in right to left using the same set up. I was afraid that trying to tap it out with a hammer & punch might shear the mounting screw under the dovetail. It worked so well that if I ever do another one thats the way I will do it.
Re: Front Sight [message #35742 is a reply to message #35722] Thu, 15 January 2015 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okiewind is currently offline  Okiewind
Forum Newbie
Thanks Gentlemen! Very Happy
Re: Front Sight [message #35744 is a reply to message #35742] Thu, 15 January 2015 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
they make a front sight pusher for ramps with the dovetailed front sight blades. Check at midway.
Jim
Re: Front Sight [message #35756 is a reply to message #35707] Fri, 16 January 2015 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
cajuntec wrote on Tue, 13 January 2015 18:42
Even though T/C's might be parallel cut and even on both ends (I've never driven one out on a T/C to check), dovetails should always, as good practice, be driven out left to right and be driven in right to left. Most dovetail cuts actually are not the same on both sides. They are parallel cut, but the right side opening is usually slightly larger. They start out tight cut and then are tapered so that the right side is a few thousandths of an inch wider to accommodate the dovetail slipping into the cut more easily. I add this warning out of "good practice", as most dovetail cuts are made this way. You can really bugger up a lot of dovetails and their corresponding cuts by driving in or out the wrong way.
All the best,
Glenn

How do you know which way is left and right? Is that from the shooters vantage point? Or from the muzzle end?

Thanks.
Re: Front Sight [message #35759 is a reply to message #35756] Fri, 16 January 2015 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I've got three white bead front sights with the 3/8's dovetail on the bottom. Two are a different height, and have a screw retaining the blade. The third is one piece, and a much smaller white bead marked 26M on the bottom of the dovetail. Take yours out and caliper the height from the top of the blade to the bottom of the dovetail. also the width; one is .232, the other 2 are ~.250. Seems top me I may have several more, have to do some more digging.
They aren't ivory bead, they're white plastic, unknown manuf.
Jim

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2015 09:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Front Sight [message #35760 is a reply to message #35759] Fri, 16 January 2015 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=16950

Includes several models of Lyman 17's, inserts for them, fire sights, etc.

Jim

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2015 09:41]

Re: Front Sight [message #35761 is a reply to message #35756] Fri, 16 January 2015 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
rchatting wrote on Fri, 16 January 2015 06:41

How do you know which way is left and right? Is that from the shooters vantage point? Or from the muzzle end?
Thanks.

Shooters vantage point. With the muzzle pointed downrange, holding it in your hand the way you normally do to shoot, identify left and right sides of the weapon or barrel you are working on. Now drive out left to right, and drive in right to left.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2015 10:15]

Re: Front Sight [message #35764 is a reply to message #35761] Fri, 16 January 2015 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Contributor
The sight blad inserts on the 77-83 contender front sights are Milled: a rotary tool moved across the sight left to right, same with the dovetail barrel locks since 1967 on the bottom of contender barrels. Those locks used to be square on all 4 corners. They finally changed that and put beveled corners to make them easier to put in right to left, left to right, doesn't matter. Once "centered" they stake it it (originally pin punch) Later ones are a tad wider so fit tighter even in the older barrels. Took them well over 20 years to smarten up.
Now, weapons like the 1911 and glocks, etc. are first milled, then broach cut to widen the one side (usually right). As it goes in it gets real tight as it approaches center. Generally those are more like a fixed sight. You can take them out and replace them with an adjustable sight like a Bomar, and have easily adjustable rears to sight the weapon in, otherwise you're stuck pretty much with "kentucky windage". Pushers for those (for removal and installation run 300 and up as high as almost 700.00). On the ramp sights with dovetailed slots for the inserts, the pusher is less than 100 (last I looked at mid-way), they'll work with almost any ramp type front sight.
Unless your'e going to replace the sight blade with a different one (like from williams or a lyman 17, and want to completely remove the contender long ramp front sight completely and put in filler screws, just tap it back enough (either way) to access the screw underneath the blade to remove the front screw. Once removed, put the sight in a small zip-lock baggie and label the bag the chambering of the barrel you took it off, there's three blade heights depending on trajectory of the round.
Most of the long ramp style front's from 78 to 83 are checkered on top.
You could get the next style sight that they still use (looks like a stair-case and is much shorter) that has slots on the side and came with a hood that would slide in. Those, like the unhooded have three blade heights that replace by unscrewing the sight, drop the blade out the bottom, and slip in the taller or shorter one, and screw it back down. The "kit" came with all three blades and the base and hood plus two mount screws. You can also get hoods that fit the side slots on those 78-83 Contender front sights. I must have half-dozen or so in my parts box, same with the ramps, and blade inserts.

The first pix is 4 of the 78-83 ramp fronts, the bottom with front blade removed. Note that two are drifted right to varying degree, and the third with blade in the dovetail is driven left.

The second is a right driven taller blade on the right, just a blade in the center, and the left is a reverse driven blade. Also note that they still fit spun around. The front *should* have a small taper, the rear rounded. Many people modified them and re-touched up where they filed with cold blue. Finding not screwed-up ones is almost impossible. Considering that a weaver is really cheap, many remove rears just to sell for 20-95.00 for the rear sight alone. Fronts generally around 20, except these long ramped ones, the rapers for 60 or better, the more reasonable ones for 20 or a little over. Still have to make sure you get the right blade height, and someone didn't file the hell out if it just so he could get his gun sighted in with the a blindly chosen rear.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 January 2015 13:28]

Previous Topic: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up
Next Topic: 5.56 in 223
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 01:23:45 EDT 2024