Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Photos » The JG quiz and look what I found
The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36949] Thu, 19 February 2015 22:58 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The year is 1985 and TC releases it's carbine

index.php?t=getfile&id=6132&private=0

OK Jim, here's the question. When did the first carbine show up in print and what caliber cartridges did it reference?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36953 is a reply to message #36949] Fri, 20 February 2015 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor

First article I remember reading about a "Contender Carbine" was an article in October 1971 in "Gun World" magazine.
Re: The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36957 is a reply to message #36953] Fri, 20 February 2015 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I was going through a box of old magazines I'd collected (and put away, and forgot) and found a bunch of Contender related ones.

Yes, this one
index.php?t=getfile&id=6133&private=0

The caliber was 5mm/20 cal. Only took TC 14 more years to come out with the carbine kit and 30 years for the gun world to go 204

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36962 is a reply to message #36957] Fri, 20 February 2015 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
From the article
index.php?t=getfile&id=6136&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=6137&private=0

Re: The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36963 is a reply to message #36962] Fri, 20 February 2015 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
and the purty one....
index.php?t=getfile&id=6138&private=0

Re: The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36964 is a reply to message #36957] Fri, 20 February 2015 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
13 years, the carbine kit was out Sept 1984, it took a full year before S-T published it's review. My 2 receipts are both dated sept 1984, from Ron Shirk's in Pa. After ordering The kit (7TCU) and 3 accessory barrels (22lr,223,30-30), With the packing slip was a note that they added the 7-30, I jumped on the phone and had them send me one out right away.
Mid sept. I had called and made an order, several super 14's, and some other stuff. While on the phone, they told me about the carbine kits and barrels they had just gotten in a couple days before. I ordered what they had, (added it to my order). When I received the order and examined the packing slip (it was all sent COD, UPS), there was the note about the 7-30. Called right away (had to, I lived in Gillette, Wy, 2 hrs time difference, and it was 10 min till their closing). It shipped next morning and I had it 4 days later.
The Carbine kit was never cataloged; Nor the barrels, just a "flyer". 1986 a complete rifle and the accessory barrels was cataloged. They even had a "special" case for the carbine, still only mentioned in the flyers for a year and a half, not mentioned at all in the 1985 catalog.
Flyers went from T/C to the bigger distributors, then they would send them out to dealers that even messed with contenders, if not, they weren't sent to them. That's why it took so long before people knew they existed.
I've got the Oct 1971 Gun world, and the May 1967 Gun World, their first review of the Contender. Guns and Ammo July 1967 contender review, and the oct 1968 45-410 G&A review. Sept 1967 Guns & Hunting Contender Review. Bob Milek's review in the November 1968 American Riflemen, and a few other's from 67 and 68, some minor ones from laTER magazines, many just the articles clipped out. I've been slowly working on scanning and pdf filing some of the ones in full magazines so i can keep them and fit more in sheet protectors in 2 and 3" binders. Working on getting all the scans done so I can seal up the magazines in a box and stash, still have the data at hand.
Re: The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36965 is a reply to message #36964] Fri, 20 February 2015 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Purty? You like purty? How about this one, Cover for article on 45-410 Oct 1968
  • Attachment: IMG.pdf
    (Size: 1.38MB, Downloaded 271 times)
Re: The JG quiz and look what I found [message #36969 is a reply to message #36965] Fri, 20 February 2015 13:56 Go to previous message
Iowa Fox is currently offline  Iowa Fox
Forum Newbie
I remember the kits very well when they showed up at one of the dealer/distributors here. My B.I.L.purchased a 22 Hornet kit within the next few days which he still owns. We were still in the middle of the farm crisis and I had to wait a couple years, just couldn't afford it with a wife and three kids. There were still a left over kits around but I bought separate parts to make my first carbine. Thats was the start for the glory years at TC.
Previous Topic: photo upload
Next Topic: My new 6.8 SPC setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 10:57:08 EDT 2024