Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Forend ID and Help
Forend ID and Help [message #37033] Sun, 22 February 2015 16:24 Go to next message
tyog is currently offline  tyog
Forum Regular
index.php?t=getfile&id=6152&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=6151&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=6150&private=0

Hey guys anyone know anything about these two forends? Don't know if they are from Boyd's or not? It appears that they are for contender bull barrels but the channels still need some sanding. Anyone familiar with sanding and finishing these? It is my understanding that Tru oil is the way to finish these. Thinking if I could find someone with this knowledge/ skill trading the one on the left for final prep of the one on the right.
  • Attachment: image.jpg
    (Size: 95.64KB, Downloaded 452 times)
    (Size: 133.47KB, Downloaded 380 times)
    (Size: 130.43KB, Downloaded 417 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2015 16:42] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Forend ID and Help [message #37035 is a reply to message #37033] Sun, 22 February 2015 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Fairly easy to do. Best way I've found is to get a wooden dowel, slightly smaller than the channel diameter you wish to make. Wrap it with sandpaper (really tight) and use a stapler to fasten the sandpaper to the wooden dowel. Clamp forearm in a good soft-jaw vice, and go nice and easy with the sandpaper wrapped dowel (of course - staples are out of the barrel channel, facing up and away from the work) until you are the diameter you need to be, clearing out the removed material often. Finish with finer grade sandpaper, and buff with steel wool. Apply Tru Oil slowly and evenly with your finger. Let dry. Lightly buff again with XXFine steel wool. Repeat until you are happy with the finish.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Forend ID and Help [message #37060 is a reply to message #37035] Mon, 23 February 2015 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nhmikel is currently offline  nhmikel
Great looking furniture

Seeking Thompson Center items, anything TC pls pm me or nhmikel@yahoo.com
Re: Forend ID and Help [message #37096 is a reply to message #37033] Tue, 24 February 2015 10:03 Go to previous message
tyog is currently offline  tyog
Forum Regular
Looks like a friend on the West coast is going to take care of me on this one.
Previous Topic: Modifying barrels lengths?
Next Topic: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 13:23:13 EDT 2024