Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Conventional Wisdom
Conventional Wisdom [message #37613] Wed, 11 March 2015 10:07 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I'm fixin' to get ready to do some testing and see what makes a real difference in my reloads. I've read tons of stuff that says "do this for more accuracy" and have always wondered what is opinion, what is fact, and what is just "it worked for me". I'm also looking to test out some of the Encore fixes (springs, deresonators, etc).

Kind of like people who weigh every single powder charge, but don't sort cases or bullets (excluding those who weigh for their own piece of mind and safety).

To do this test I have a 28" 308 and a 15" Ruger 204. My plans are to put together about a hundred cases that are mixed head stamp and/or mixed weights and see what happens as I try each change to see what happens. I want to test sorting by weight (cases first, then bullets), weighing powder charges to the exact same and then to a .2 grain difference, neck turning, and what ever else I can come up with. I've got software that will measure groups from scans, and will use it throughout the test.

What are some of the things you're curious about if it makes a difference?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37614 is a reply to message #37613] Wed, 11 March 2015 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
By the way, I do KNOW that hinge pins can make a big difference. I have a 270 barrel that was shooting Monarch ammo (read CHEAP) in nice 4" random patterns. While trying to figure out what was going on I found that the barrel rattled, literally rattled when the frame was open. I replaced the factory hinge pin with a Bellm 1x and the groups dropped to under 2" @ 100yds - no more rattle either.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37615 is a reply to message #37614] Wed, 11 March 2015 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BBHunter is currently offline  BBHunter
Novice Contributor
I see you are giving that 308 barrel you snagged on Outdoors Trader a chance to prove itself. How about changing nothing but primer brand on some loads. Good luck and I look forward to checking out your findings.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37617 is a reply to message #37615] Wed, 11 March 2015 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I am eagerly waiting the results. I have seen a few test done to where .2 grains didn't seem to make much difference. so Curious what your results will show. I was recently doing the ladder method and had almost a whole grain difference in .308 that was impacting near the same point.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 March 2015 21:16] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37619 is a reply to message #37617] Wed, 11 March 2015 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Can do on the primers

Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37620 is a reply to message #37619] Wed, 11 March 2015 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
That would be the barrel, pushed me over the edge to do the testing. Now if I can get rid of the left hand savage I'll have enough money to buy the powder and bullets I need.

Jim, you might be closer to "waiting for spring" up where you are

Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37622 is a reply to message #37620] Wed, 11 March 2015 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
waiting? Turkeys are gobbling and starting to strut. Ducks and geese have been breaking off into pairs. Does staking out their fawning spots. Been in the 70's, trees started budding over a month ago. We even bought our turkey tags a week ago. Season opens in exactly a month, April 11th. 8 turkeys walked 3' past the dog kennel this morning just to rile them up, if I didn't know better one stuck his tongue out at them. (a way of "flippin the bird"). River is ice-free, about a month earlier than normal. Grizzlies came out of hibernation a full month earlier than usual. I haven't been able to make a snowball for over 2 months. A year ago March 1st I had to dig my wife out of a 5' snow drift. This year never had to put the outfit in 4-wheel drive. Even the wife says spring has sprung, and she's a pessimist.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37626 is a reply to message #37622] Wed, 11 March 2015 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Loved early springs when I lived up north

Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37629 is a reply to message #37626] Wed, 11 March 2015 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
James, I wish the turkeys were behaving that way. It is an unusually late spring for us. This is our first reasonably warm week and it has been an extremely wet winter. Turkeys are still in their winter areas and haven't started talking yet. Our season opens this Saturday and I'm seriously thinking of not even going into the woods until it drys out a little.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37631 is a reply to message #37629] Wed, 11 March 2015 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Ours runs April 11th to May 20th. Last year i picked up the two dead ones wearing my T-shirt, scivvies, and slippers, probably do the same this year. Did interupt my computer time to scoot my chair the 4 feet to the window to shoot em; which reminds me, i need to take the screen off the window to be ready for this year.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37639 is a reply to message #37631] Wed, 11 March 2015 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Must be nice, here in Maine I am just beginning to see the top of the hot tub outside. I am wondering what mixed primers and mixed cases do to groups. Good luck Jim, that sounds like a lot of work.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37641 is a reply to message #37639] Wed, 11 March 2015 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Richard, not Jim Wink

An excuse to go shooting

Previous Topic: New cast boolits
Next Topic: 17 Remington
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 11:03:28 EDT 2024