Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » I'm Just in Awe
Re: I'm Just in Awe [message #37147 is a reply to message #37142] Wed, 25 February 2015 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I have a 1893 Mauser that I just rebarreled to 6.5x55. Guess that is vintage.
Re: I'm Just in Awe [message #37154 is a reply to message #37147] Thu, 26 February 2015 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

rchatting wrote on Wed, 25 February 2015 20:13
I have a 1893 Mauser that I just rebarreled to 6.5x55. Guess that is vintage.

Until you put a new barrel on it. Now it is upgraded.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: I'm Just in Awe [message #37160 is a reply to message #37154] Thu, 26 February 2015 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
yep, no longer "vintage". Besides, isn't the 93 mauser a spanish in 7X57? (I used to have one). It's definately showing it's "age" now, cartridge shrunk from being 7 mm diameter to 6.5mm, and length as well, 57 mm down to 55mm. Spanish receiver married to a scandanavian barrel. Guess that's what a mixed marriage can do to you. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Re: I'm Just in Awe [message #37171 is a reply to message #37160] Thu, 26 February 2015 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Wouldn't that be "New and Improved"? The only thing vintage I'm looking for right now has to do with grapes though.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: I'm Just in Awe [message #37174 is a reply to message #37171] Thu, 26 February 2015 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
It "was" a 7x57. Keyholed at 25 yards with everything. Throat was shot out. Decided to go with 6.5x55 since I didn't have a 6.5 caliber at the time and had several 7s. This $89 green mountain barrel is shooting submoa with one of my first attempted loads at the range with the 140 grainers. Got to dial it in now.
Re: I'm Just in Awe [message #37177 is a reply to message #37174] Thu, 26 February 2015 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
mine would stack 160 Sierra BT's at 100. That's what "sold" me on the 7's and Sierra 160's. Had the barrel cut just behind the front sight, bolt handle bent down, rear sight removed and D+T'd for scope mount, put it in a Bishop left hand stock That was "semi-inletted". Took a Pa. deer, and a Wyo elk with it (5X5)(1st), and my first wyo antelope, and a black bear (also in wyo). Bought the gun at a store in Michigan, just a high school kid when I got it. Pre-70. At the time, you could buy F-F in any contiguous state, Living in Ohio at the time that meant Michigan, Indiana, Ky, West Va., and Pa. No 4473 so just a simple recoipt with the ser. # that I still have. Dad was in the store with me, so they just "assumed" it was ok with him. I paid like 29 something for it, total with stock, gunsmith fee, scope, mount, etc. maybe came to 125 bucks. 76 I replaced it with a Ruger 77 in 280 Rem, he got one at the same time in 7 Mag. X-mas a few years later I got us both Ramline stocks for them. I sold that 91 in the 80's, that 77 in the early 90's, hadn't shot it in years., 81-84 was stricly contender pistol time for me, bought a contender with a 10" 357 barrel 79 (used), shortly later got a 10" 30 Herrett barrel and a loupie 4X,, dad got a used contender with a 14" 35 rem and a 4X leupy on it, helped him find one at a gun show in Ohio before I moved to Wyo in early 81. This morning while looking for something else in my filing cabinet, I found copy of the police report from 85 when that first contender # 89345 was stolen. It had a 14" 7TCU with a Burris 10X on it.
I did get the scope back, a local pawn shop had it. With the police report and the serial number of the scope, the shop owner gave it back to me (072471), bought it Sept 84, so some a$$-wipe stole it 11 months later.
Re: I'm Just in Awe [message #37963 is a reply to message #37177] Sat, 28 March 2015 18:47 Go to previous message
mule is currently offline  mule
Forum Newbie
personally i am overjoyed to see that some people feel that these items are worth what others feel to be a rediculous amount of money. we on this forum pay far less than that. matter of fact many really good deals go without so much as an offer. i like to see the high sales because it posts a possible ceiling. our treasures are ours. when they are on the market they are truly only worth what the market will bear.
Previous Topic: Today is my wife's anniversary
Next Topic: Shipping a barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:11:13 EDT 2024