Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Conventional Wisdom
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37642 is a reply to message #37641] Wed, 11 March 2015 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I'm curious to see what difference seating depth makes, as I haven't got to that point with any of my rifles yet.

I clean and sort all my cases by headstamp. I set up my Hornady trim station and put each and every piece of brass through it - every time. When doing work ups, you can see that the first two load steps generally don't need trimming at all. The third step usually takes a full turn and it's trimmed. The fourth step will take a turn + a bit (continue to two full turns to even out), and the fifth step will sometimes take almost two full turns of the handle to remove all the excess, so I sometimes have to turn the handle a full three turns - depending on how close to max I was loading. Then all get the same chamfer and deburr. That way, they are all starting out the same length, same headstamp, same cleaning.

But here is where I just caught myself as I was typing (I just edited to add this paragraph) - if I'm trimming some (higher powered load steps), but not others (lower powered load steps), I'm thinning out some brass, but not others.  Will that make a difference?  Hmmm.... Never though about it until now.  But then again - all of my reloads after I settle on the best load have produced wonderfully, so maybe the thinning of some doesn't have as much effect as thought by some.  Maybe it does.  Maybe people get to a point in their shooting where THEY are the limiting factor.... not the brass thickness.

However, that's as far as I go. I don't neck turn, and I don't weigh my cases and/or bullets. But I weigh every charge. More for peace of mind than anything, but accuracy comes into play, and that is a very close second reason. My accuracy has improved drastically with just about everything I shoot since I started reloading, and I have always (with the exception of some pistol rounds) weigh every charge on a Redding balance beam scale. The third reason I do it is because I find it peaceful. There is just something about the procedure, and being that anal-retentive that appeals to me.

The reason I haven't gone to neck turning or weighing bullets / brass is because I believe my reloads shoot about as good as I am going to get them to shoot. However... I have been tempted to play with seating depth... just to see if I can get better any better groups with the original best load out of my step tests.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Wed, 11 March 2015 18:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37654 is a reply to message #37642] Thu, 12 March 2015 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
Seating depths can sometimes matter a lot. Adding headspace shims has really helped two of my encores. The 6.5x55 barrel I've had for 10 years has never shot under 1 1/4 inch groups until I installed some of Bellms headspace shims. It shoots from 1/2 to 5/8 consistently now.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37655 is a reply to message #37654] Thu, 12 March 2015 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
This is the guide I use for seating depth that I read somewhere. Start at .010 off the lands and add .040 to it after every group. You may get a good group at .050 off but don't stop there. It could get better at .090 off or .130 off.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37659 is a reply to message #37655] Thu, 12 March 2015 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I am with you Glenn, I basically do every thing the same as you, and have excellent results. My expectations could be different than others.
For scoped deer rifles and scoped handguns I like one inch or less at 100 yards. Most of the time I can do that without too many different handloads to try. I also take a bullet that I like and try to make that bullet work. I also try to use powders that I have acquired through the years to save on my pocketbook. Trying different powders, primers,bullets can be very interesting. It will be interesting to see what Jim comes up with with.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37661 is a reply to message #37659] Thu, 12 March 2015 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Richard is doing the project
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37970 is a reply to message #37613] Sun, 29 March 2015 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alibi is currently offline  Alibi
Forum Newbie
Hello,
I was reading the various posts on the site; find them very interesting. I read your post about looking for accuracy. I am just starting to experiment with the Encore rifle, so I cannot comment too much in that area; however as for the reloading aspect I can. My experience has been to keep all of the components as identical as possible. I weigh everything, cases, drop every powder charge exactly to the tenth, and also weigh my bullet heads. I also measure all of my cases to ensure that they too measure the same overall length. I have found that bullet heads have varied .2 to .4 grains. Once all of my components are weighed and found to be equal, I then look for a common/middle ground powder, not the one that gives the highest velocities, not one that barely gets the round out of the barrel, not one that needs to be a compressed load, but a middle ground powder. I load for the 35 Whelen and like the IMR 4064 powder. I will look at the "maximum" load data, drop the load by a half-grain and start from there diminishing the load by .5. I make up loads of four in increments, dropping each load by .5 grains per group. From there I will go to the range and start shooting my loads starting at the lowest load and working my way up. After each group of four, I will clean the barrel, let it cool and then go to the next group of four until I have reached the load that is .5 grains lower than maximum. One thing I am extremely careful of is to watch the primers to make sure that they are not cratering or flattening out. Usually I will find a load that will work well in my rifle with that particular powder/bullet/primer combination. Hope that this is helpful, Raoul
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37985 is a reply to message #37970] Mon, 30 March 2015 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iowa Fox is currently offline  Iowa Fox
Forum Newbie
Keep good written notes in a permanent log book. One of the biggest things in the break actions with bottleneck cases is the measured recorded distance from the case base to datum line.
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #37995 is a reply to message #37985] Mon, 30 March 2015 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
What I find funny is that people keep meticulous records, do powder steps, take measurements until they have headaches from reading calipers and micrometers, etc, etc, etc... and then they go to the range to shoot their loads and will do 5 of one, then 5 of another, then 5 of another, not realizing that the more they shoot, the more fatigued they get - especially with a larger caliber. After a few rounds of steps, they aren't shooting at their peak, and therefore some of the later loads might not group as well as the first couple of steps. Or, vice versa - they show up excited and jack up the first load step really bad because they are geared to go. Then they "settle in" and relax for subsequent load steps.

A friend of mine suggested shooting at 5 separate targets with 5 steps, but instead of shoot 5, move to the next target, shoot 5, repeat... He suggested shooting one of the first group at the first target. Then one of the second group at the second target. Then one of the third group at the third target. And so forth...

So you aren't tiring out by the last group, or getting over-excited on the first. THEN see which of the 5 groups were best. In all actuality, you can start seeing by the third shot on each target, which ones are shooting tighter groups. So if you tire by the 4th set of shots, at least you got 3 good ones in each of the targets.

Requires more concentration too... as you aren't just shooting 5 in a row at one target. You really have to pay closer attention this way to ensure you know which load step you are shooting at which target.

Just more food for thought.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2015 17:55]

Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #38000 is a reply to message #37995] Mon, 30 March 2015 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Be patient with your shooting, this does take a while. I like to let my barrel cool between shots. Very seldom do I get 2 or 3 shots at a deer .
I want to be sure where the first shot goes.

WWKMAG

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2015 19:31]

Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #38001 is a reply to message #38000] Mon, 30 March 2015 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
fairly often I take 2 or more shots at deer, never the same deer though. Depenmds on how many tags I have. One time I took 12 shots at antelope all in maybe a minute and a half. Tell me dressing and loading 12 antelope didn't have me pooped. Even worse was hanging ,skinning and quartering, then boning them critters was almost an all night job. Tags were 7.50 and we could get all we wanted, up to 18,000.
Jim
Re: Conventional Wisdom [message #38005 is a reply to message #37995] Tue, 31 March 2015 06:42 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
cajuntec wrote on Mon, 30 March 2015 17:53

He suggested shooting one of the first group at the first target. Then one of the second group at the second target. Then one of the third group at the third target. And so forth...

Glenn

This also helps to even out the temp of the barrel with the different loads. Helps to rule out the barrel getting hot causing issues as you get to the last load to try.
Previous Topic: New cast boolits
Next Topic: 17 Remington
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 04:27:57 EDT 2024