Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Adding pillars to forend
Adding pillars to forend [message #37984] Mon, 30 March 2015 11:52 Go to next message
SuperKirby is currently offline  SuperKirby
Novice Contributor
I have a muzzleloader barrel from MGM and a laminate forend from Boyds. I like them both. Unfortunately if I tighten the forend down, I can't get the ramrod out. If I leave the forend loose enough to get the rod out, there's play in the forend. I'm thinking I should try to add pillars to forend to get the right spacing and still be able to pull the rod out. I've never done anything like this but it doesn't seem like it should be too hard. Can anyone tell me where to start, what to use, and how to do it?

Thanks.
Vince
Re: Adding pillars to forend [message #37986 is a reply to message #37984] Mon, 30 March 2015 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Instead of permanent pillars, what about just trying a washer or two?
Re: Adding pillars to forend [message #37994 is a reply to message #37986] Mon, 30 March 2015 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
How about heavy rubber o-rings, help absorb some vibration as well Two on each screw if need be.
Jim
Re: Adding pillars to forend [message #38004 is a reply to message #37994] Tue, 31 March 2015 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I've been using a couple washers, and they seem to be working alright. I was just thinking about something more permanent.
Re: Adding pillars to forend [message #38006 is a reply to message #38004] Tue, 31 March 2015 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Are you sure the forearm is grabbing the ramrod? Could it be the screws are penetrating the barrel pillars too far and grabbing the ramrod? If so, putting washers on the outside would work too, or shorten the screws.
Re: Adding pillars to forend [message #38025 is a reply to message #38006] Wed, 01 April 2015 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I think it's the... you know, I don't know now. I guess I need to explore a little more.
Re: Adding pillars to forend [message #38027 is a reply to message #38025] Wed, 01 April 2015 06:42 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
The pillars on the BP barrels are technically sorta kind of pillar bedded anyway (reverse pillar bedded if you would). This keeps the forearm off the barrel. Whereas the other Encore barrels have the forearm bolting directly to the barrel with numerous places of possible contact.
Previous Topic: Size of rear sight blade screws?
Next Topic: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:56:14 EDT 2024