Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » 15" Encore 25-06 (shooting results)
15" Encore 25-06 [message #38427] Mon, 18 May 2015 17:40 Go to next message
bengineer is currently offline  bengineer
Forum Newbie
I searched all the 'net for info and experiences with the pistol length 25-06 Encore barrel I happened into. Mostly struck out, so I went it on my own.

I used published reloading data from several catalogs/books/powder manufacturer websites. I also consulted Quickload, which confirmed most of the findings in rifle length barrels. Quickload also reminded me the muzzle pressure would be around 20,000psi. In layman's terms, that means LOUD. Like Billy Mays loud.

I used ballisticstudies.com to confirm my bullet choice: soft, mid-weight bullet for hunting and varminting. I chose the Sierra 100 gr Pro Hunter BT.

H414 got me 2450 fps across a Oehler 35P at about 12 feet. On the other end, IMR 4350 got me almost exactly 2800 fps. Recoil was mild to moderate. About like 45 Colt 300 gr cast at 1100 fps in a Ruger Bisley. Not something I can shoot 100 of, but not a 500 Linebaugh, either. Mostly, the muzzle blast required plugs and muffs, along with safety glasses. (Yes, I wear ear pro and safeties anyway)

So, a milk jug test: 4 in a row at 50 yards. First two mildly popped, but didn't lose lids (I confess I hit about 2" off the ground, about 2" lower than I wanted, but I was holding the aligned gun in the bags and watching with my left eye) Good result, I thought, for a short barrel. The separated bullet jacket and core were sitting in the bottom of the third jug, which was slowly leaking water and sucking in air. Of note, the first jug had a nice, clean, prolapsed 25 caliber hole into it. The exit of the first one was about 4" tall and just a split, not a total rupture as I had hoped, but not too bad. The second one blew apart as much as possible without losing the plastic cap.

In the end, the fourth, and last, bottle met its demise with the last shot. All alone, it sat just waiting to be evacuated. The ol' 25 delivered. For whatever reason, this one popped the top and split both front and back.

After a quick trip back to the reloading room, I filled a few of the already prepped and headspaced brass with IMR 4350 and headed to the home of the wonderful Marmota flaviventris, the rockchuck or yellow-bellied marmot. Being early in the season, I didn't want to be greedy, so I only whacked 3 (in just 3 shots, mind you). The first one fell down a crack, but covered the rock behind him with blood and small pink pieces. The second one was a similar shot, broadside at about 50 yards. In tight behind on-side shoulder and out the same on the opposite side. Some lung visible in the hole, and on the rock behind. Insta-dead, but not ruptured. Good, I thought, for a hunting bullet to hold together for at least 6" in flesh. The last one was 75 yards, 45 degrees uphill, facing me. Most impressive. Launching, elevation and helicopters, as Calhoon says. Completely evacuated entire body. Spine intact, but all bottom skin removed/split. Entrance was sternum, up high. Exit would have been about the end of the body, maybe just before the pelvis, but I couldn't see any specific single hole.

I think the pix are too gnarly for me to post on the net, so you don't get to see them. Sorry.

In summary, a totally great cartridge is quite limited in a 15" reason to buy hearing aids. One or two bullets exist that are likely perfect in this thing. Most are not providers of amazing performance, both harder and softer alike. Expect 250 savage results and PLUG YOUR EARS to get a pleasing result. But it is a very fun experiment. I may have to shoot a bear with it. We'll see.
Re: 15" Encore 25-06 [message #38428 is a reply to message #38427] Mon, 18 May 2015 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Good report!
Re: 15" Encore 25-06 [message #38430 is a reply to message #38428] Tue, 19 May 2015 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Nice write up. A HP bullet would have upset those water jugs more. I have shot both and there is a clear difference in explosiveness between SP, HP. However, I do like Sierra PH, they are one of my favorite bullets in several of my 7mm caliber TCs.

Look for some load data with faster burning powders, that will reduce the muzzle report and blast. I originally used H380 in my .270 barrel and it sounded like a cannon, went to H335 and it cut it down dramatically. I believe switching to a extruded over ball may help even more, but haven't tried it in the .270 yet. Faster powder will burn more completely in the short bbl and burn less in front of the muzzle. If you are not sure about the burn rate, just look for powder that the max is less grains in the load manual you are using. Plug some of those into Quickload and see what you get.

Re: 15" Encore 25-06 [message #38432 is a reply to message #38430] Tue, 19 May 2015 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Powder Burn rate comparison chart:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

Jim
Re: 15" Encore 25-06 [message #38435 is a reply to message #38432] Tue, 19 May 2015 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Interesting chart but it is missing Reloader 17.
Re: 15" Encore 25-06 [message #38436 is a reply to message #38435] Tue, 19 May 2015 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bengineer is currently offline  bengineer
Forum Newbie
I did try Varget. One grain below Hodgdon's max got me about 2600 fps.

I will run some Quickload iterations with faster powders and see what I can come up with. Until then, the extruded IMR4350 will be the powder; 2800 with a 100 is pretty good.

Anyone else have experiences with 25-06 in short barrels?
Re: 15" Encore 25-06 [message #38438 is a reply to message #38436] Tue, 19 May 2015 13:57 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Bet Varget will be less boom.
Previous Topic: laminate stocks & forends
Next Topic: Contender rifle stocks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 08:51:53 EDT 2024