Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Spotting Scope (Cheap)
Spotting Scope [message #38462] Fri, 22 May 2015 07:58 Go to next message
bikerpipes is currently offline  bikerpipes
Novice Contributor
I would like to buy a affordable spotting scope to take to range with me can't afford to spend much. Please give some ideas on what to look brands and prices.

If God brings you to it He will bring you through it.
Re: Spotting Scope [message #38463 is a reply to message #38462] Fri, 22 May 2015 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Part is going to factor around what calibers you shoot, and at what distances. 45's make big holes, 17's and 20's tiny ones. You need more power at 600 yards than at 50 or 100. I'd suggest one with a tripod, whether you shoot from a bench or prone on the ground, sitting or kneeling. My dad had a Tasco 20-60 that he bought around 1960 it survived many a horseback ride up and down high and steep mountains for sheep and goats. I've got it now, and it still works GREAT, even with all the battle scars it has. Does it "have to be" a high dollar one to be usable? Nah. Go somewhere where they might have a few set up, look through them see if they will focus sharp enough for you, and the power range you'd think you'd need for your targets, hole sizes, etc. Check at garage and estate sales as well where you can "play" with them. Use your best judgement, might run ito that treasure find at a price that's almost a give-away. Helps if they still have the manual, some you swap out eye-pieces, some you don't. Some have a rotating turret with several selections, you can adjust it's POA on a lower to get you close, then up the power and fine tune.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 May 2015 10:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spotting Scope [message #38464 is a reply to message #38463] Fri, 22 May 2015 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I've got a relatively cheap Bushnell 20-60 that works OK. Clarity isn't as great as I'd like at longer distances but since all of my stuff is at the 100 and 200 yard ranges I can live with that. It has it's own little mini-tripod that I just set up on the next bench over (to my left).
Re: Spotting Scope [message #38465 is a reply to message #38464] Fri, 22 May 2015 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
x2 on the Bushnell. Used it up until I put a 36x weaver on the 204.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Spotting Scope [message #38469 is a reply to message #38465] Fri, 22 May 2015 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
56 kodiak shooter is currently offline  56 kodiak shooter
Novice Contributor
I have a barska its Russian made I paid around fifty. its was brand new it works just fine, I have had it for about 1 year, it 20-60 power

[Updated on: Fri, 22 May 2015 19:00] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spotting Scope [message #38748 is a reply to message #38462] Sat, 11 July 2015 07:37 Go to previous message
bikerpipes is currently offline  bikerpipes
Novice Contributor
Thanks guy that gives me somewhere to start.

If God brings you to it He will bring you through it.
Previous Topic: Happy 4th of July everyone
Next Topic: Toyota Yari shows off
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 11:25:24 EDT 2024