Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » EVA Encore Stubs are now available
EVA Encore Stubs are now available [message #38588] Fri, 12 June 2015 20:15 Go to next message
Eagle_view is currently offline  Eagle_view
Forum Newbie
Eagle View Arms (EVA) would like to share our newest product with the readers of this forum. After several years of development, I am proud to release the EVA Model E-T Encore Barrel Stub Kit. This product is designed for the gunsmiths that have not been able to easily provide custom barrels for their Encore shooters, or for the shooter that has the equipment and knowledge to make their own barrels. Of course there in nothing wrong with a shooter taking a stub to his/her gunsmith and having a new barrel made.

The stub is machined from a monolithic block of heat treated 4140 steel. There is no welding done on the stub and none required to finish a barrel. If you can thread and chamber a barrel for a bolt action rifle, you can certainly make a great barrel for an Encore.

Each Stub kit has all the parts needed for a barrel except for the actual barrel blank it's self. There is the stub, in the white, two EVA locking bolts, the EVA Evertite extractor, that does not require an separate leaf spring. These extractors will not fit a TC barrel nor will a TC extractor work in the stub. It was the key element in allowing us to build the stub from a single piece of steel.

I will post more images as I get a new 6MM Dasher chambered up from the same stub batch that are available to you. I make a new barrel with every batch of stubs that we release, but I do not make any barrels for anyone else. Please support your favorite or local Gunsmith. Smile

More information is available at www.eagleviewarms.com. Smile
  • Attachment: 002.JPG
    (Size: 309.27KB, Downloaded 2414 times)

Just one shot

[Updated on: Wed, 16 December 2015 21:47] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: EVA Encore Stubs are now available [message #38589 is a reply to message #38588] Fri, 12 June 2015 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Interesting concept. Let me ask a question. Has anyone ever thought of using a Savage-style barrel nut instead of the standard threads? I'm pretty sure that would require a different (or at least modified) forend. However, it would allow the garage gunsmith to be able to change out barrels on his own.
Re: EVA Encore Stubs are now available [message #38590 is a reply to message #38589] Fri, 12 June 2015 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
If you look at this stub, it's designed to be a pressed fit, not threaded. Last I saw, for contender's there's a press fit stub and a threaded style available. Threaded with jam nut would yield a stub capable of switch-out or interchangeable barrels provided the case family is the same for the extractor to work on each barrel made for it. OR, have several extractors on hand for varying case families. You'd have to have a good machinist or gunsmith capable to time the barrels for front sight alignment with the 4 holes in the rear, and the holes for forend attachment.
Garage Gunsmith? You talking a hobbyist attempting the challenge?
Jim

[Updated on: Fri, 12 June 2015 21:03]

Re: EVA Encore Stubs are now available [message #38591 is a reply to message #38590] Fri, 12 June 2015 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Doyle; I have not looked at the Savage barrel nut and have dropped the smooth tenon that we tried, too many people have a hard time getting a press fit which we did recommend silver soldering in, or at lease use a strong solder like Force-44 from Brownells. Besides if you could only use one stub you would not buy any more and that kind of defeats my goal of selling lots of stubs.LOL

The thread on the Encore stub is 13/64x20 UNEF B2. It is a very easy setup to do. I will post some pictures of how I do it some time this weekend, so stay tuned.

Lowell

Just one shot

[Updated on: Fri, 12 June 2015 23:20] by Moderator

Re: EVA Encore Stubs are now available [message #39683 is a reply to message #38591] Fri, 04 December 2015 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnwilliamson062 is currently offline  johnwilliamson062
Forum Newbie
I'd buy a Savage style stub. It is unlikely I will buy one of your stubs. By the time I get a blank and have my smith do much work at all I am into MGM barrel territory. A savage type I can do myself.
I think a Savage type would sell much better even if double the price.
I am sure there are hobbyist gunsmiths interested in your stub though.
Re: EVA Encore Stubs are now available [message #39712 is a reply to message #39683] Tue, 08 December 2015 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Taking a Break
As of this morning Eagle View Arms is taking a break until early summer 2016. I need some rest and some time to figure out how to make these stubs and parts and some money too. Last quotes I got from the contract shop was that they wanted more than I feel that I can charge with out the final touches. We'll be back with new ideas and methods this coming summer.

Thank you
Lowell

Just one shot

[Updated on: Tue, 08 December 2015 18:56]

Re: EVA Encore Stubs are now available [message #39779 is a reply to message #39712] Wed, 16 December 2015 21:41 Go to previous message
johnwilliamson062 is currently offline  johnwilliamson062
Forum Newbie
I'd also probably pay considerably more for a Savage style stub.
Previous Topic: Determining what sights to fit
Next Topic: Contender Hammer questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 03:41:31 EDT 2024