Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender rifle stocks
Contender rifle stocks [message #38599] Mon, 15 June 2015 07:38 Go to next message
nycontender is currently offline  nycontender
Forum Newbie
I am a bit confused with the rifle barrels on the contender frame and the front stock used. I'm looking at the carbine barrels and some of the forearm stocks have 2 screw holes and some have one to mount them. Can someone help me to understand how the screw mount works on them? I thought it was one screw for the carbine and 2 for the longer rifle but I'm seeing carbine front stocks listed with 2 screws. Thanks for your help.

Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38600 is a reply to message #38599] Mon, 15 June 2015 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The very first Contender Carbine barrels had only one lug - which is why you're seeing the forend. If I remember correctly, the forends will work on either barrel. (But then again, it's been a few years since I sold mine)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38602 is a reply to message #38600] Mon, 15 June 2015 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I have a 2 screw rynite forearm which fits my 2 lug 23" bbl and it fits the 1 lug super 16 barrel. You just use one screw on the 1 lug one, the spacing is the same. So far, I have not seen any issues with using it on either one.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 June 2015 09:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38603 is a reply to message #38600] Mon, 15 June 2015 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Originally the carbine barrels used a wood forend with one screw. they were "long" and had finger grooves on the side. These barrels are tapered as well. Then they added the second dovetail barrel LOCK, the rear one normally spaced the same as on all 10 octs, bulls, and 14's. The front hole wasn't in the same place as the 14's, it's a little further ahead. When they added the second one (rear) the forend now used 2 screws. They shortened it but kept the front hole where the single one was on the original. The early short-run version still had finger grooves, just a little shorter in length. Very quickly they simply deleted the finger grooves. If you get the current model still available in both wood and rynite, just simple don't use the rear screw. Yeah, leaves the hole with nothing in it, but it's a better option than having a custom one made, of paying big $$$$ for an original carbine kit wood forend. The newer ones come with a sling swivel stud ahead of the two screws.
Using the original on a later 2 dovetail LOCK would require modification. 1) drill a short 3/8's bit "cavity" for the rear dovetail lock to sit it, or 2) remove it and just use the single forward screw. I would not recommend the first option, really kills the value of and motivation for collectors.
The current G-2 era use 2 screws as well, but the barrels are full bulls. Those require the later (and uglier IMHO) "rifle./carbine" forend. Screw placement is identical to the tapered barrels but the channels are different. The G-2 era is really sloppy on the G-1 21" tapered barrel, and the tapered G-1 forend won't fit the full bull profile of the G-2 23's.
The tapered forend fits tapered G-1 era 16's and 21's. EXCEPT the 16" (actually 17 3/8's) 45-70 which is full bull and takes the common 14" "pistol" forend.
This question has been asked MANY times over the years. The answer hasn't changed. It may be in Contender reference, But hardly anyone checks there. I get pretty disgusted spending the time to write that material, taking pix, etc. just to see it basically ignored.
Jim

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2015 01:21]

Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38604 is a reply to message #38603] Mon, 15 June 2015 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
jamesgammel wrote on Mon, 15 June 2015 09:34

This question has been asked MANY times over the years. The answer hasn't changed. It may be in Contender reference, But hardly anyone checks there. I get pretty disgusted spending the time to write that material, taking pix, etc. just to see it basically ignored.
Jim

Jim,

Wouldn't it have been easier to just add the link to the specific thread in the reference section in lieu of retyping? Sometimes there is so much info on a forum that a newbie doesn't know where to start looking.

I have been guilty of asking on a forum if someone could point me to the post that answers my question if it has already been answered. I.E. on Graybeard Outdoors, or castboolits, there is so much there and so many links, you could spend all day searching for the post that answered your question and still not find it.
Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38605 is a reply to message #38604] Mon, 15 June 2015 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nycontender is currently offline  nycontender
Forum Newbie
Thanks for all the info, this will help me out and I now understand this much better. I'm going to make a copy of this info so I have it to look back on. I have a contender pistol which I got in the late 1980s and an Encore rifle a few years after they came out. I really like them both, have taken many deer with my contender in 35 rem and the Encore in 20ga and 308. You can say I have been a contender fan for a while but just now seeing the difference with the contender in rifle because I never looked at anything other than pistols for it.
Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38606 is a reply to message #38602] Mon, 15 June 2015 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
rchatting wrote on Mon, 15 June 2015 07:34
I have a 2 screw rynite forearm which fits my 2 lug 23" bbl and it fits the 1 lug super 16 barrel. You just use one screw on the 1 lug one, the spacing is the same. So far, I have not seen any issues with using it on either one.

Hmmmmmm. I don't define "fit's" when there's a big gap on both sides of the barrel increasing from back to front and not sitting with the top edge parallel with the top of the barrel. No more than using a 92A weaver on an encore barrel. Jam fitting and properly fitting are two very different creatures. Yeah, you can drill out a contender barrels hinge pin hole to make it fall in an encore frame and even get the encore's pin in it but is that the right thing to do? You can get en encore sight screwed on a contender barrel and it will rock side-side but is that a good idea? You could just get a 12 gauge forend and get it to screw on a 24 26 or 28" rifle barrel, but is that the "right" thing to do? put a rifle forend on a pistol barrel? I've got a grocery bag full of forends that had extra holes drilled in, barrel channels opened and ugly, but "it worked" for some goofy previous owner. Biggest problem is they can't even get their new hole centered right. So they just drill the hole bigger. Slots instead of holes to force their mess to "fit".

Here's a Pix of a typeII contender octagonal barrel in 22lr. Quite nice shape. Which of the 6 holes are the original 3?
Left to right: 1,2,and 6. Nasty up a nice barrel for who knows what reason, Then stick a cheap weaver on it with three screws, and dump it on someone else via the net. Naturally not disclosing what abortion is under the scope mount. Everyone likes surprises when they remove the scope mount. Screws weren't even tight, the mount wiggled. QUICK ram and jam to get it ready to dump on some other poor soul.

Yeah I've seen that done, except they slobbered a bunch of J-B Weld in the channel to at least fill in that gap and the rear hole. Let's be careful about what we call "fits". The reader may actually spend his $$ on a rynite 23 Bull forend and then afterward wonder WTF?

Jim
  • Attachment: N_R.jpg
    (Size: 152.89KB, Downloaded 248 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 15 June 2015 15:24]

Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38607 is a reply to message #38606] Mon, 15 June 2015 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Hmmmm, someone likes to dump all the search work on ME, like I don't have better things to do. I need little sticky notes all over my walls with the question and the links that I answered years ago. Easier for who? Not me, that's for sure. Like you said, search all over for HOURS and maybe still not find it. But it's OK if it's MY TIME. Naturally the time and effort expended in doing my moderator functions is just peanuts and insignificant. Try adding all that up and just see how insignificant it really is. Oh yeah, I'm getting a huge pile of $$$ in exchange. Walk in MY SHOES before making such brash statements. Not complaining, just stating FACTS. My message count is 1750. You want ME to dig thru those and find the "answer" and post a link to it? Yours is 435. My PM box was 95% full, spent a lot of time doing deletions. Who did the mahority of the shifts to "archives"? You wouldn't know the hours per day nor the # of days I spent just on THAT project. How many moderators are there, and how many spend as much time here? How many even bothered to help, and how much help did the contribute? I found moderators that haven't been back since 2010. Told Glenn, he fixed it. HE does a TON you have no idea about. ALL behind the scenes. ALL of this is off topic and likely to be deleted. Oh well.
Jim
Jim
Re: Contender rifle stocks [message #38609 is a reply to message #38607] Mon, 15 June 2015 15:18 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&t h=15833&start=0&

Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 15 June 2015 15:31]

Previous Topic: 15" Encore 25-06
Next Topic: 2015 T/C Encore and G-2 offerings, Bean-counters rule
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:00:22 EDT 2024