Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Product and Vendor Feedback » Choate Machine - The quality has dropped
Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38616] Wed, 17 June 2015 22:52 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I just got my son a new 10/22, and the LOP is still a bit long for him. So I ordered an M4 style stock from Choate Machine and Tool that is very similar to the one on his Encore rifle. I expected the same quality as I've come to expect, but was sadly disappointed in the finishing of the stock.

It looks like someone popped it out of the mold, screwed on the additional parts, and bagged it. No finish work was done. It has little plastic "fuzz" all over the stock, and there are mold marks and some divots that look like the plastic shrunk in the mold.

Overall, it will work for what we wanted it for - A "growing" stock for my son's new .22. However, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed in the final finish of this product. If this is the new Choate standard, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next stock.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38664 is a reply to message #38616] Sat, 27 June 2015 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Glenn: I work in the custom plastics molding industry. You have what is referred to as a non-fill or short shot. The process settings went askew on that shot. Most of these parts are picked by operators who sometimes miss the small imperfections. Quality usually takes samples every hour to check on the part staying in size. They usually check cosmetics also. It is still possible for a part to get thru the cracks in the system between checks. In the industry we realize that fact.
I doubt Choate manufactures their own plastics, and may be unaware that they have some bad ones floating out of their distribution. In any case if I were you, I would call them and inform them of the issue. Chances are they would be more than happy to replace it to keep their brand name in good repair. Just my take on it, but worth the phone call.
Best Regards
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38666 is a reply to message #38664] Sat, 27 June 2015 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Glenn,
I too have a history in the plastics industry dating 60's and 70's, extruded coated wire and also tubing in several different plastics composition. There has always been a quality control issue you can't physically inspect every 1/8 inch of wire or tubing as it comes out and is rolled/coiled up. It's coming out in hundreds of feet per second, maybe even faster now.
Jim

[Updated on: Sat, 27 June 2015 10:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38671 is a reply to message #38666] Sat, 27 June 2015 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Rick / Jim,
I'd accept that quality control excuse if the part was one piece - comes out the machine, goes into a bag, and ships out the door. But that's not the case with this one. There is a metal adapter block on the back that is screwed into the plastic piece in question so that the receiver extension and adjustable stock can be attached. There is a castle nut that needs to be locked down onto the metal adapter block once that is installed. Then there is a metal sling stud with inside attached lock nut that goes on the front. I realize a lot of processes can be automated, but I don't see how either of those two extra pieces can be attached by a machine. In the process of those two pieces being attached, the installer would have plenty of time to see how fugly the plastic piece in question was. If it was all done by machine, I fail to understand how other areas of the quality control in assembly would have missed it.

Maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions and ideas. But for the cost of these stocks, I am extremely disappointed in what I received. Choate probably won't take it back now though, as I took light sandpaper to it to knock off all the fuzz. It ain't pretty, but it looks better than what I initially received.

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38672 is a reply to message #38671] Sat, 27 June 2015 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Hmmmmm, the bottle of booze, and brown paper bag over the head of the ugly "broad" approach. Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Shocked Shocked Were you formerly a sailor? Laughing Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Sat, 27 June 2015 13:05]

Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38674 is a reply to message #38672] Sat, 27 June 2015 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Thinking about what's "important" - My son loves it. The imperfections don't bother him. It "fits" him, and it's a new firearm for him, so he's very happy with it.

Notice how smooth the rear adjustable section of the stock looks in comparison with the forward part of the stock that the receiver sits in. Still a good looking setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Firearm%20pictures/Dars1022_zpsa3qcqjaf.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38687 is a reply to message #38674] Mon, 29 June 2015 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
That is a very nice looking piece. My son would love one, but it would not fly in this forsaken State. Tac stocks are illegal with a pistol grip. Grrrrrr.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38688 is a reply to message #38687] Mon, 29 June 2015 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mule is currently offline  mule
Forum Newbie
if at first you dont succeed do not blame it on the equipment
Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38690 is a reply to message #38688] Tue, 30 June 2015 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Rick,
That sucks. Sorry you can't get them there. I hate that they consider stocks like this to be "tactical". My son really enjoys the adjustability of the six position stock, and the pistol grip gives really good control. If I didn't like my wood laminated thumbhole stocks so much, I'd have one like my son has on his Encore on mine as well. Really love the feel and controllability.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38691 is a reply to message #38672] Tue, 30 June 2015 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
jamesgammel wrote on Sat, 27 June 2015 13:03
Hmmmmm, the bottle of booze, and brown paper bag over the head of the ugly "broad" approach. Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Shocked Shocked Were you formerly a sailor? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Why yes... I was! 😝.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38692 is a reply to message #38687] Tue, 30 June 2015 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
kc2htv wrote on Mon, 29 June 2015 08:46
That is a very nice looking piece. My son would love one, but it would not fly in this forsaken State. Tac stocks are illegal with a pistol grip. Grrrrrr.

Yeah, those pistol grips make the guns so much more accurate and dangerous. It is amazing how all of Georgians are still alive with all the pistol grip guns we have down here.

We will gladly accept any conservative gun owners from NY here in Georgia, plenty of room.
Re: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped [message #38695 is a reply to message #38692] Tue, 30 June 2015 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Contributor
Even more here in Wyoming. Fewer people than in Cleveland, Ohio. More antelope than people. Just don't need or tolerate the NY people that screwed up that state. There's a town not too far from me, "Byron". They were working on getting gov't funding to put a public shooting range on some property that the town owned. A woman from some mid-west state went to the town meeting discussing it. She had recently moved and just happened to be about a half-block from where they were putting the range. She raised hell about being "so close" to such a dangerous area putting her and her kids at jeopardy. They asked her where she was from and how long she had been in Byron. She told them. They told her that SHE moved to a place that has it's own culture. That was evident when she considered the place she got. She was NOT going to change the whole town to her way of thinking, she was WAY out-voted. They suggested that if she was so concerned, she should move back to the nice place she moved here from, and the whole town would help her pack all their belongings and even have a send-off party in her and her family's honor on the town's dime. They would have bought her house, for a profit for her, and given her moving expenses.
Jim

[Updated on: Tue, 30 June 2015 12:57]

Previous Topic: Bad Vendor "Personal Choice Outfitters" PCO
Next Topic: Whats going on at Burris ??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:29:57 EDT 2024