Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Low Serial # Contender Frame (Anything Special About Low Serial #)
Low Serial # Contender Frame [message #39011] Mon, 24 August 2015 14:39 Go to next message
Booter is currently offline  Booter
Novice Contributor
I just bought a Contender Frame with a 4 digit serial # ,97XX, and was wondering if there is anything special about that low of a serial number......It is being shipped, so haven't inspected it yet for condition, etc.

Jarrell
Re: Low Serial # Contender Frame [message #39013 is a reply to message #39011] Mon, 24 August 2015 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Contender frames started with serial number 1000, so they started out being 4 digit frames. That would hold true up until 9999, then becoming 5 digit frames until 99999, from there being 6 digit frames. They then went into the 500K's before production of the G-1 Ceased so the most digits that can be seen is 6 digit frames. Unless it was a "re-make", it will be a full etched, or "rear-scroll" frame with etching behind the puma's tail, which quit in the 16,2xx range.
Your's would thus be a "9K" within the early etched group likely having that rear scroll around the puma's tail which could be "special" or desirable if one prefers or likes that etching pattern over the more numerous rear scroll-less later ones.
I've got 2 similar 9K's, as well as a 7K, a 5K 4 barrel set, and 9 in the 1K serial range.
Of those 9, 4 are similarly etched, 4 have no etched pattern at all, and one has that pattern on just the left side, the other side having the puma replaced with a spread-winged eagle pattern.
There's been a couple 9K's , and a 10K listed on Gunbroker for quite a while now, and within the last year and a half I've seen at least one 3K, a 6K, and several other 1K's go through that site; I bought 5 1K's in one purchase "deal" roughly a month ago. I'm sure they'll continue to pop up there every now and then. They aren't exactly impossible to find. You might also find them at estate sales and the like. I did return a complete 184x cased gun with two barrels because it was mis-represented; I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen it re-listed yet these last couple of weeks.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 24 August 2015 17:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Low Serial # Contender Frame [message #39017 is a reply to message #39013] Tue, 25 August 2015 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Thanks Jim......I'm anxious to get it to see what I have, but have to wait because it is going to be hand delivered on Sept. 5. It will also come with an octagonal 45/410 barrel.

Jarrell
Re: Low Serial # Contender Frame [message #39018 is a reply to message #39017] Tue, 25 August 2015 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Hope it's a real one and not one of the many rechambered bastards or a way period late one which would be a rechambered bastard.
Jim
Re: Low Serial # Contender Frame [message #39142 is a reply to message #39018] Mon, 14 September 2015 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Jim, I received the low serial # Contender and it looks almost new....Has the engraving near the tail...The barrel in marked 45 Colt and has the removable exterior choke for what I suppose would be used for shotshell ammo....will not accomadate 410 ammo.

Jarrell
Re: Low Serial # Contender Frame [message #39145 is a reply to message #39142] Mon, 14 September 2015 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
25 august you posted: "It will also come with an octagonal 45/410 barrel.", today you post that it is marked "45 Colt" but won't chamber a 410. To have a period correct barrel in "45 Colt", there wouldn't be any choke or provision for one at all. OR it would have had a 45 Colt with "410" marked directly under "45 Colt" and 8 total port holes with the external choke tube.
If it has the 8 port holes, external choke, and unreamed for 410, while not period correect for when the frame was made and shipped (9.7K) you've got one of the hardest 45 Colt barrels (TypeII) to find. Even the 4 hole unreamed is worth more to a collector than a reamed one. Even the ones with no choke in 45 Colt that haven't been reamed for 410 are dang hard to find (and they person that had it reamed or did the reaming is a total idiot, they designed the choke so you wouldn't get a big-a$$ donut pattern).
PM me who you got it from so I avoid getting anything from him ("handle" if on gunbroker).

Jim
Re: Low Serial # Contender Frame [message #39147 is a reply to message #39018] Mon, 14 September 2015 14:39 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
Jim, I received the low serial number Contender.......It looks almost new.....has engraving near the tail of the puma.....Included was a 45Colt barrel with external choke that I suppose is to be used with shotshell ammo....barrel will not accommodate 410 ammo.

Jarrell
Previous Topic: rear sight for Contender G1 pistol
Next Topic: Black Powder Shooters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 03:58:36 EDT 2024