Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » rear sight for Contender G1 pistol
rear sight for Contender G1 pistol [message #39049] Wed, 02 September 2015 14:05 Go to next message
ncdeerhunter is currently offline  ncdeerhunter
Forum Newbie
my scope in Contender G1 pistol is broken. it's a .357 Mag barrel, but the iron rear sight is missing.

What rear sight can you recommend? it is used for deer hunting, and mostly within 50 yards.

Here is the scope base type:
http://s8.postimg.org/3yp3yjtet/image.jpg
Re: rear sight for Contender G1 pistol [message #39051 is a reply to message #39049] Wed, 02 September 2015 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Rear sights, regardless of barrel length only use two screws to hold them on (2 varieties of 14 rears used 4). If you have a 357 mag barrel, I'd guess it's a 10" either octagon or bull. MOST of those had soldered on front sights. Does yours? If it does, the best choice would be the older "Long sight", which was a one sight fits and works on all, no rear leaf variation. Most barrels from that era were considered 50 yard guns.
Jim
Re: rear sight for Contender G1 pistol [message #39052 is a reply to message #39051] Wed, 02 September 2015 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ncdeerhunter is currently offline  ncdeerhunter
Forum Newbie
it's 14 inch 357 Remington Mag (I shoot 357 Mag ammo) bull (round heavy) barrel. There is a mark "super 14"". The front sight is removable by two screws, and like this:

http://s3.postimg.org/jlyxhe1wj/image.jpg

Where can I buy the "long sight"?
Re: rear sight for Contender G1 pistol [message #39055 is a reply to message #39052] Thu, 03 September 2015 08:04 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
"long sight" was only used on barrels (oct and "bull") barrels 10" long with soldered on front sights (All 10 bulls have some taper, the earliest two versions more than the later versions). You have a 14" and they are full Bull, no taper. You'd need either an "improved" or the later white letter sight. I've never heard of the 357 Remington Mag, so unsure of the leaf height of those rears to "match" the height of your front blade, assuming that the front sight is original. S&W (T/C) should be able to tell you the proper leaf height. I have a fairly large assortment of loose improved sights possibly one or two with the leaf you need; Otherwise I could possibly PM you links to the proper height ones on an unmentionable auction site that has one.

Or you could take the easy way out and get a Williams fool-proof (with rear notch) which has enough adjustment to work with any caliber, any length barrel.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 September 2015 08:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: G1 Contender, not able to cock
Next Topic: Low Serial # Contender Frame
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 16:40:57 EDT 2024