Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » TC Hunter Classic Contender (North America Hunt Club Contender)
TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39159] Tue, 15 September 2015 22:04 Go to next message
Elkhound is currently offline  Elkhound
Novice Contributor
I am looking for info on the TC Hunter Classic North America Hunting Club members Contender # 82 of 500
Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39160 is a reply to message #39159] Tue, 15 September 2015 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
index.php?t=getfile&id=6550&private=0
  • Attachment: TC PISTOL.jpg
    (Size: 278.35KB, Downloaded 476 times)
Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39162 is a reply to message #39160] Wed, 16 September 2015 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Is the serial number on yours "373524"? I have #33 of 500, ser # 373475. The "unique" thing about these is they are the only model that have the "gold plated" triggers. I suspect they didn't make all 500, just the number that actually were subscribed to.

There were two sister organizations NAHC(Hunting) and NAFC (Fishing). Both would come up with all kinds of "gimmicks" to make $$: limited edition knives, silver plated "coins", hunt/fish trips, etc. Around 1990 they came up with this Contender LE. Advertised it in their own magazine, and other "gun" magazines, mostly to sucker other people into joining just to be able to get the LE Contender.

One "draw" that this had was the person got his name and membership number permanantly put on the right side. Other Perks was of course the gold design on the sides, the gold plated trigger, fancy wood, and the highly polished frames. Both sides almost rivaled the polishing done on the Steve Herrett Comm., the remainder got a little less polish, but at least "some". Most of the other LE's got unique serial numbers. The Herretts "SH-001" to "SH-500". These seemed to be just pulled from normal production, the reason I asked about your serial number. Since they are Limited Editions, they are C&R eligible, and ATF would know just how many were actually made, as well as qualifying serial numbers. Obviously Custom Shop assembled. I may have an Ad someplace.

Jim
Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39173 is a reply to message #39162] Wed, 16 September 2015 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Jim,thanks for the info.I have not received it yet I copied the pic from owner,as soon as I receive it I will post serial # so we can tell if thats the way they did the serial #.Thanks Dwayne
Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39176 is a reply to message #39173] Wed, 16 September 2015 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Jim / Dwayne,
I don't know anywhere close to as much about Contenders as Jim, but I found a certificate on the internet that supposedly came with these pistols. If you look closely, the "etched and filled" was done at a place called "Baron Technology", not T/C (or T/C Custom Shop). I looked them up, and found them at:

Baron Technology, Inc.
62 Spring Hill Road
Trumbull, CT 06611

So that makes me wonder - Where these actual "special runs" from T/C? Or did NAHC do a special buy of a bunch of non-etched pistols from T/C, and then commission Baron Technologies to make them "Unique"?

Here is a picture of one of the certificates:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Firearm%20pictures/NAHC%20Certificate_zpsallsxfbi.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Wed, 16 September 2015 19:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39177 is a reply to message #39176] Wed, 16 September 2015 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
The Custom Shop didn't always do ALL the work in-house. For example(s), Barrels could be sent to magnaport for magnaporting; Steve Herrett Commemoratives were sent to Japan for engraving (frames and barrels); frames were sent out for case coloring. I wouldn't be surprised that that same outfit did the etching and silver filling for the 25th anniversary LE's of T/C's founding in 1992, a fairly short time after the NAHC's were done.

As typical for T/C and the Custom Shop, "just in case" of damage or defects they had a fair number of "extra" triggers plated. Many of these were "snagged" by employees, and a fair number were exchanged at T/C's "Tent Sale". IF your premise was true, NAHC would have been the ones that had left over gold triggers.

Jim
Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39178 is a reply to message #39177] Wed, 16 September 2015 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Good to know. Now knowing what you just wrote about the triggers makes a world of difference in the guess of how it was done. It would make sense if they liked the work (and the price) to use them again so shortly after the NAHC's were done, so I bet your guess on the 25th LE's is correct as well.

That place looks like it does nice work too. I looked over their site during that search.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39180 is a reply to message #39178] Thu, 17 September 2015 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
what's pretty "cool" is the gun's "number" (in my case 33, Dwayne's 82) isn't "by itself", but in the Big side pattern, as well as the buyer's name and member number. "My guy" used his nickname and it's in quotation marks. And yes, I spent a good 15 minutes browsing examples of their work and was quite impressed. I'm sorta-kinda thinking of giving them a call to ask if they did do the 25th LE. Contenders. I'll likely call Art (Pres of TCA) first and see if he knows. He's the one that mentioned about the triggers.
I Bought just the frame on GB, only paid about what a "new" or even used G-1 E-O generally goes for. Mostly for the trigger, thought it would look nice in my flatside SS C/S frame, possibly put it in a 25th .22lr to "class it up" if I ever find one reasonably priced.
Re: TC Hunter Classic Contender [message #39190 is a reply to message #39180] Thu, 17 September 2015 20:14 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
Thanks guys for the info.interesting.I am going to do some research myself,if I find out anything else I will let you know.Thanks Dwayne
Previous Topic: Black Powder Shooters
Next Topic: Encore 6 Dasher bullet trail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 18:25:13 EDT 2024