Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender Frames Question
Contender Frames Question [message #39595] Sat, 21 November 2015 00:50 Go to next message
winman1550 is currently offline  winman1550
Novice Contributor
If I wanted to buy a Contender Frame (G1 ,G2 or ....) which one should I purchase for hunting?

Thanks to all, Greg

[Updated on: Sat, 21 November 2015 10:30] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Contender Frames [message #39596 is a reply to message #39595] Sat, 21 November 2015 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Greg;
Either one will serve you well in that course; most people like the Contender better then the G2. The trigger is much more adjustable and in general much better then the G2. Also the grip angle is different on each model too. Both frames have about equal strength so not a big deal that some people try to make it. You should be happy with either one.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Contender Frames [message #39597 is a reply to message #39596] Sat, 21 November 2015 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrHoward1955 is currently offline  DrHoward1955
Buy an Encore........
Re: Contender Frames [message #39598 is a reply to message #39597] Sat, 21 November 2015 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Excellent response by mrmurl. I'm in agreement with his statements.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Contender Frames [message #39599 is a reply to message #39598] Sat, 21 November 2015 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave22250 is currently offline  dave22250
If you wanted pistol cal's I would go with G2 contender ,if wanted rifle go with encore. And I shot encores with triggers every bit as smooth and light as contender, just depends on who lightens it...Dave
Re: Contender Frames [message #39600 is a reply to message #39599] Sat, 21 November 2015 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

The real beauty of the Contender verses the G2 or Encore is the triggers can be done by yourself with relative ease. You can make a really nice trigger with a few minor adjustments on it where as the G2 and Encore require a gunsmith to do a real job and at least a very careful job done with stones and expertise by the individual. Of course a gunsmith can make a Contender trigger much better to but the individual at home with on a couple of small allen wrenches can do a really goo job. Unless you want to shoot the really big boomers like 308, 30-06, 270 and stuff like that you don't need an Encore but the Encore will definitely give you more options.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Contender Frames [message #39602 is a reply to message #39600] Sat, 21 November 2015 21:40 Go to previous message
WV338 is currently offline  WV338
Forum Regular
Forum Moderator
This is just my preference, but I like the balance and feel of the G1 for a pistol over the G2 or Encore. I've had G1 pistols in 357 Max, 375 JDJ, and now a 35 Rem. I feel the G1 doesn't have the big barrel rise when shooting it like my 338 Federal pistol Encore. I would suggest determining what you are going to hunt and in which caliber and then make your selection based on that.
Good luck and good shooting...

Whisper Ventures
355th TFW
Previous Topic: 358 Hoosier or 358 WSSM
Next Topic: T/C Pro Hunter Rifle in S&W .500
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 15:10:04 EDT 2024