Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Which Rifling in Each Brand Barrel ??? (barrel rifling process)
Which Rifling in Each Brand Barrel ??? [message #39644] Sun, 29 November 2015 09:07 Go to next message
EF Hutton is currently offline  EF Hutton
Forum Newbie
New Here- hope I don't step on any toes

Does anyone know which Rifling method was used in each of the Encore brand barrels

ex: Bergara, TC Factory, MGM, etc.

button, cut, hammer forge, etc.

Not necessarily pros & cons, but which uses what ?
Re: Which Rifling in Each Brand Barrel ??? [message #39645 is a reply to message #39644] Sun, 29 November 2015 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
T/C twist rates: http://www.eabco.com/TwistRate.htm
Third party manufactured bbl specified by client from available list.
Hope this helps,
Jimmy
Confused

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Which Rifling in Each Brand Barrel ??? [message #39647 is a reply to message #39645] Sun, 29 November 2015 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Welcome to the site EF. I've done some looking into this subject, and this is what I've found so far (internet searches - some may be inaccurate, but it's the best I could find):

Factory Thompson / Center barrels are currently advertised on some websites (such as the distributor LG Enterprises, LLC) as button-rifled. I cannot find mention on the actual T/C website, and I don't know if the rifling technique has been the same throughout the entire Encore barrel manufacturing process.

Match Grade Marine barrels can be a variety, as they order some elsewhere for "special twist rates or special barrel blanks". I swear I used to see "Shilen" as a choice for barrel blanks, but I'm not seeing that on their site anymore. If they were using Shilen blanks, it looks like those are button-rifled. There is no direct mention of it, but it's covered in the FAQ section, so I'm assuming they are button-rifled.
I'm not sure where their "standard" barrel blanks come from, but under their "Links" section, there is a link for Green Mountain Rifle Barrel, so they may be getting their standard blanks from them. If it is, then those are advertised as being button-rifled for their 25", 27" and 28" round blanks, but single point cut for their 35" black-powder rifle blanks (.45 and .50 cal).

Bullberry uses barrels from elsewhere also. In one of their notes, I caught "Maximum rifle barrel lengths may vary by barrel supplier". That tells me that their barrel blanks can come from various manufacturers, so it would depend on the barrel maker as to what type of rifling method was used. They do mention "Douglas Barrels" in that same section (Premium Quality), so if it's a Douglas blank, from what I've found (not listed on their site) it's button-rifled.
Right beneath that, in the "Select Barrel Premiums" section, they also mention Wilson Arms. If it's a Wilson Arms blank (also from what I've found, because it's not on their site) it's button-rifled.

Bergara barrels are button-rifled. It's on their site in the FAQ section.

EABCO custom barrels are "Two-Pass button rifled" From their website.

From what I've found through Internet searches on barrel blank manufacturers (not all are used for Encore / Contender barrels, but just in case your "custom" barrel manufacturer uses one of these blanks to make your barrel):

Cut:
Krieger
Bartlein
HS Precision
Lawton
Satern
Green River
Badger

Button:
Criterion
Lilja
MRC
Broughton
Hart
Shilen
Douglas
Schneider
Pac-Nor

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Sun, 29 November 2015 13:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which Rifling in Each Brand Barrel ??? [message #39650 is a reply to message #39647] Sun, 29 November 2015 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EF Hutton is currently offline  EF Hutton
Forum Newbie
Ok that about says it all.

I guess we have to be comfortable with button rifling.
On the Bergara site i saw that they heat & relieve stress brought upon by button rifling.
They make mention of the marine corp snipers using some of their blanks.

If i had one built it would be 30 Win, but Ready to go Bergara's are widely avail in 06.
Re: Which Rifling in Each Brand Barrel ??? [message #39659 is a reply to message #39650] Mon, 30 November 2015 20:33 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
EF,
That was a new one on me, so I had to look. I don't see anywhere that they claim Marine Corp snipers use their blanks. Their Production Manager, Dan Hanus, is a retired Marine who used to work at the Quantico Precision Weapons Section, but that doesn't mean they used Bergara barrels there - Just that he worked there prior to coming to work for Bergara.

Where did you see that?

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: encore barrel front sight screws
Next Topic: G2 frame question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 22:22:53 EDT 2024