Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » Thompson Center Contender Classifieds » Contender Reference Only » My Contender WON'T Open Easily
My Contender WON'T Open Easily [message #39975] Tue, 29 December 2015 11:16 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Wishing I had one to work with, but here goes.... If you own a Contender and buy barrels you will eventually hit a combination of frame and barrel that is hard or next to impossible to open.

Generally, this is caused because you picked up a barrel with what is known as a single piece locking lug. There were/are different versions made, but they amount to the same thing. (two on the left are single piece)
index.php?t=getfile&id=6773&private=0

The first thing to try is swapping the locking lugs from another barrel. Amazingly enough, sometimes just the swap will work with both barrels.

If that doesn't work, give TC a call. They will require you to send in the frame and the barrel, but they pay for the whole thing.

IF THIS HAPPENS WITH A BARREL THAT'S WORKED IN THE PAST --->
1) Clean the frame -- Remove the trigger group then clean and lubricate the internals
2) Clean the barrel
-- Remove the locking bolts, clean and lubricate, then clean and lubricate the channel.
-- While you're at it do the same thing for the extractor.

Either something got bound up or something broke.
  • Attachment: 3bolts1.jpg
    (Size: 37.09KB, Downloaded 1349 times)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 22 July 2020 11:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My Contender WON'T Open Easily [message #47563 is a reply to message #39975] Fri, 10 February 2023 13:59 Go to previous message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Also a consideration might be dressing the bolts that you have
https://i.postimg.cc/L816dNj9/bolt-dressing-x-sm.jpg
Don't use a file, use a stone, like one you'd sharpen knife blades
You can't put it back!

Think twice...shoot once.
Previous Topic: Early Contender Modification
Next Topic: Contender iron sight heights chart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:01:29 EDT 2024