Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Weatherguard only? (new guy ask question about availability of SS barrels.)
Weatherguard only? [message #3834] Sun, 06 March 2011 15:33 Go to next message
cholifield is currently offline  cholifield
Novice Contributor
Hello all, I am new to the forum and i may not be posting this in the right place. I had an Encore 209 50cal several years ago, but I sold it. I am very seriously considering buying another with a 223 barrel and a 35 Whelen barrel at first and probably more as i get more $. I have a question that someone can probably answer. While searching for an Encore I have heard at 2 different gun stores that TC is going to drop Stainless steel and instead offer guns with the weather guard coating.
Has anyone else heard that?

Re: Weatherguard only? [message #3837 is a reply to message #3834] Sun, 06 March 2011 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Encore28 is currently offline  Encore28
Novice Contributor
Although T/C is pushing the Weatherguard barrels right now----SS barrels are still available.
Thw weaatherguard barrels are considerably cheaper and look like a darker SS and are marketed as 50x more corrosion resistant than SS.
Hope that helps
Encore28
Re: Weatherguard only? [message #3841 is a reply to message #3837] Sun, 06 March 2011 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Thanks Encore28.
The gun store had a T/C Icon with the Weatherguard coating on it; nice finish. the guy said they would have a big shipment of the Encores w/weatherguard coating in a couple weeks and that was what they would offer now in the place of SS. He said the price of the weatherguard rifles was around $600 which is considerabaly cheaper than a SS Pro Hunter ($850)
It just didn't sound right that T/C would stop making SS barrels. but if they are going that route I need to get a 35 Whelen barrel at the first opportunity. When i was at one of the stores I saw a 35 whelen and a .223 barrel. but they were both Bergara barrels none made by T/C. Are the Begara barrels any good?
Re: Weatherguard only? [message #3862 is a reply to message #3841] Mon, 07 March 2011 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
They say the Begara barrels are OK BUT I don't think I would buy one and forego the lifetime warranty.
T/C has a depleted stock and I believe it is because they are moving the T/C factory from NH to Mass where the S&W world headquarters is.
The .35 Whelen may have to come out of the custom shop(which is closed at the present time).
The weathershields are much cheaper though.
Good Luck
Encore28
Re: Weatherguard only? [message #4018 is a reply to message #3862] Sun, 13 March 2011 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bossie255 is currently offline  bossie255
Novice Contributor
Why would you lose the life time warranty if you used a bergara barrel not changeing the frame in any way.
Re: Weatherguard only? [message #4026 is a reply to message #4018] Sun, 13 March 2011 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
You loose the lifetime warranty on the barrel being it is not from T/C-The frame would still be covered.

Encore28
Re: Weatherguard only? [message #4033 is a reply to message #4026] Mon, 14 March 2011 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oneshotonekill is currently offline  oneshotonekill
Forum Newbie
If I remember correctly, the Cabelas shooting catalog 2011 has Encore SS weathershield barrels for $249. Do they really offer SS w/ weathershield or is this a typo? I thought this was a great price if SS and the weathershield.
Re: Weatherguard only? [message #4107 is a reply to message #4033] Thu, 17 March 2011 23:29 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
Just bought my Encore; SS Pro hunter w/thumbhole stock, 28" SS 35 Whelen barrel. will try to shoot it this weekend. talked to a local dealer and told him other dealers were going weather shield only and i was having trouble finding SS. he ordered 4 SS frames and 4 SS barrels.
Previous Topic: 7mm-08 rem dies are in,,,,
Next Topic: 243
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 23:03:58 EDT 2024