Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » New to reloading - Questions (357 Max - powder charge?)
New to reloading - Questions [message #40316] Wed, 03 February 2016 10:14 Go to next message
Jspence17 is currently offline  Jspence17
Forum Newbie
I'm new to reloading. I'm using Winchester 296 to reload for my 357 maximum encore pistol. When using the VMD chart from Lee for my Perfect Powder Measure, my weight seems to come up a little light on the Lee Safety Scale. I also noticed this with H414 for reloading 270win. I'm sure that I am using both the scale and volume correct. Just nervous to add more powder than I think I have in a case. Looking to start at 21 grains for 158g bullet, but my volume, when weighed, comes out between 19 and 20 grains. How accurate is the Volume Measure Density chart?
Re: New to reloading - Questions [message #40318 is a reply to message #40316] Wed, 03 February 2016 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The VMD chart is a guide that relies on the the components used to create it. The powder they used may have had a different % of moisture, or the powder you have may have less. The way your powder settles into the dispenser may be different because of the technique you use vs theirs (they tap, you don't, etc).

What you're doing is the right way. Use the VMD to get a starting point, then adjust the measure to get where you want it to be. Throw and weigh 10 charges to check that things stay in line (use the charges that are right, dump the rest back in the hopper). I then weigh every 5th charge for 20 rounds and every 10th round after that.

I use an electronic scale. I pull the 5th (or 10th) case from the reloading tray, put it on the scale and tare it, then charge the cases until I reach the empty slot. I charge that case and weigh. If it's wrong by a lot I dump the powder from that case and the preceding ones and start over ---> I have never had to do this once I learned the technique listed in the next post.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2016 11:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to reloading - Questions [message #40319 is a reply to message #40318] Wed, 03 February 2016 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
A powder measure like the lee (or RCBS Uniflow) has a sweet spot. It's the point where the weight of the powder is enough to keep things consistent.

Go above it or below it and your charges become inconsistent (too much compresses, too little means it won't compress enough).

To take care of the top there's two things you can do. With the RCBS I have a baffle that keeps the weight consistent no matter how high I fill the hopper. I don't think the Lee is high enough this becomes an issue. To check it out, fill the hopper all the way to the top. Throw charges until you notice a consistent change in the weight. Mark this level with a rubber band and repeat. Once you know where the top point, move the rubber band down a quarter inch. Never fill the hopper above this.

Go below it and the powder doesn't automatically settle and you throw inconsistent charges. repeat the same steps for the bottom of the measure to set the low point.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2016 11:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to reloading - Questions [message #40320 is a reply to message #40319] Wed, 03 February 2016 11:49 Go to previous message
Jspence17 is currently offline  Jspence17
Forum Newbie
Great info. Thanks for the help.
Previous Topic: 460 load?
Next Topic: .270win Sierra 115grain
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:15:10 EDT 2024