Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » .223 Brass... So Versatile.... Ha!
.223 Brass... So Versatile.... Ha! [message #40056] Mon, 04 January 2016 22:19 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I shoot a .223 Wylde AR-15, so I have a lot of brass from shooting it.

I also shoot a 7TCU. I resize some of the .223 brass to make 7TCU brass for my Contender.

But I split the necks on some of the .223 brass while sizing them up in the 7TCU die. But did I throw them away?

Nope.

I cut the necks off and resized the (proper length) remainder to .300 AAC Blackout. Cool

.223 Brass... for the person who just hates throwing out a piece of brass before it's absolutely, positively, completely useless. Very Happy

Waste not.... Want not.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Mon, 04 January 2016 22:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .223 Brass... So Versatile.... Ha! [message #40059 is a reply to message #40056] Tue, 05 January 2016 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Hmm. That is good to know. I like the way you think.

I have a 7TCU, but traded .223 brass for the pre-formed 7TCU brass so I didn't have to do so myself. If I ever have to make my own, and split cases, I can keep for one day when my future eventual plans for a 300 BO come to fruition. I once goofed and ran a 30-06 brass in a .308 die and it had a really long neck. Decided to cut back to .308 dimensions, but the neck is now way too thick and I have yet to invest in an outside neck turner. One day...
Re: .223 Brass... So Versatile.... Ha! [message #41088 is a reply to message #40059] Wed, 04 May 2016 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmiles007 is currently offline  jmiles007
Novice Contributor
Use it up.
Wear it out.
Make it do,
or do without!
Re: .223 Brass... So Versatile.... Ha! [message #41089 is a reply to message #41088] Wed, 04 May 2016 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Have you ever tried fire-forming your .223 brass in the TCU chamber with the cream of wheat method?
I get no split necks from the process and you only burn a little bit of Unique and some breakfast mix!

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: .223 Brass... So Versatile.... Ha! [message #41090 is a reply to message #41088] Wed, 04 May 2016 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
You can probably save most of your once fired brass by annealing it. There are more than a few youtube videos out there, but pay attention to what they do as far as safety.

Do not put the water where you have to reach in front of the torch... and don't hold the brass with your fingers....

What I've seen and want to do is:
1) use an old bore brush in a drill and insert it into the case neck
2) Spin the case in the flame at low speed for a 5-7 second count
3) Don't let the brass get red hot
4) Don't ever anneal the brass down by the rim.
5) Wearing a good leather glove (safety), pull the brass off the brush and drop it into a buck of water (speed over neatness)

The case head should NOT be too hot to touch, but I'm not going to find out the hard way.

[url=][/url]

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: .223 Brass... So Versatile.... Ha! [message #41133 is a reply to message #41090] Sat, 14 May 2016 14:10 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Good information, and I liked the video. I think if I do this, I want a more uniform process than what he was showing. Since he is just holding it in his hand and not really regulating where the brass sits / how far away it is from the flame, they are non-uniform. I want to build some sort of machine to do it one day. I've seen a few on YouTube I might try. This weekend is a good one to build something like that, as we have some horrible weather rolling in. Thanks!
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: 280 ackley
Next Topic: Annealing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:13:01 EDT 2024