Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » JP Eliminator Brake
JP Eliminator Brake [message #41316] Wed, 22 June 2016 09:01 Go to next message
CoronaGold is currently offline  CoronaGold
Forum Newbie
How (un)pleasant would be the experience of firing a 15" 300 Win Mag on an Encore pistol frame with a JP Recoil Eliminator installed? I kinda like shooting 308 on a pistol frame but heavy 500 S&W from a pistol frame is just too much for me to enjoy. I guess I'm asking how much recoil would a JP Recoil Eliminator actually eliminate?
Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41317 is a reply to message #41316] Wed, 22 June 2016 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I so want one of their Howitzer brakes.... but I'm going to ask why not just shoot a 308? Just pondering it I don't see how you can get more velocity from the WinMag than the 308, both will (OK, should) still be burning powder after the bullet leaves the barrel???

OK, it's a rifle - but this will take care of it

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41319 is a reply to message #41317] Wed, 22 June 2016 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I had not considered that the win mag might not have a lot more energy from a short barrel. Good point. Needs looking into.
Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41323 is a reply to message #41319] Fri, 24 June 2016 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Definitely something to consider. Cru is probably right, with 70-80 grains of powder, near double a .308, I bet much of it will be burning outside the muzzle just creating a big flash and big boom. Will probably need ear plugs and muffs to protect your hearing. Even 40 grains of a medium powder in a 15" barrel still burns some outside of the barrel. I haven't compared the 30-06 in the 15", but it would probably get you just as good ballistics as the 300 WM in such a short barrel, 308 may also.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2016 06:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41324 is a reply to message #41323] Fri, 24 June 2016 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Found this as well... has me rethinking a brake

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/07/muzzle-brakes-recoi l-results-for-6mm-6-5mm/

But I still like the tank brake

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41329 is a reply to message #41324] Sat, 25 June 2016 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Hey, nice article! But the article only addresses recoil directed at the shooter, it does not address barrel flip, and the top two winners do nothing to add downforce to your rig. The JP Eliminator does.

After I posted this reply the first time I went to the Google and saught more information. I found another article here by the same folks at precisionrifleblog and this one really sums up all the research they have put together in muzzle brakes.

If staying on target is the reason for installing a muzzle device, it seems the JP Eliminator is the clear choice.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 June 2016 18:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41335 is a reply to message #41329] Sun, 26 June 2016 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
As I see it, the only reason to stay on target is to see the bullet hit. If you're firing an Encore or Contender there's no second shot to follow up with.

And yes, I still like the JP too

Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41458 is a reply to message #41335] Fri, 22 July 2016 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Ooooo, truly a valid point. I just think it is meet to launch a big ole huge cannonball of a cartridge and see the rifle just sit there, I like the engineering marvel of it. But sadly you are right, there is no practical reason.
Re: JP Eliminator Brake [message #41459 is a reply to message #41458] Fri, 22 July 2016 14:56 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Wellll. when you're shooting at Dak Rats, PDogs, Groundhogs, etc.... it's half the fun to see the hit/miss

And I like a rifle that just sits there too

Previous Topic: .22LR Scope mounts
Next Topic: Recommendations for a match grade barrel?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:59:23 EDT 2024