Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » Thompson Center Encore Classifieds » Encore Reference Only » The difference between an Encore / Prohunter and an FX frame
The difference between an Encore / Prohunter and an FX frame [message #40039] Sun, 03 January 2016 21:16 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
There has been discussion on several forums and locations, as to the similarities and differences between the Encore / Pro Hunter platforms and the "FX" system that Thompson Center manufactures.

The discussion have ranged from "You can press out the pin and use an Encore barrel on it" (with no pictures or proof, because nobody I've seen has actually done it), to "It's impossible to remove, and even if you could, an Encore barrel wouldn't fit".

Well, I wanted to know for sure. So I asked a very nice group of people to post pictures if they had them. A gentleman named Adrian was nice enough to post pictures and then take some measurements. I'm sure it was difficult to take some of the measurements accurately because the pin was not removed (It's pressed in, and splined so it doesn't come out). But as you can see, he did a fine job of getting us some good pictures.

As it turns out, the pin diameter is different, and the placement within the frame is not the same. Here are our measurements:

On the Encore, the front of frame to inside edge of the hole is .327'. The pin diameter is .437'. Putting the front of frame to back side of pin hole at .764". On the FX, the pin diameter was .386", and the front of frame to back of the pin hole was .839".

So not only is the pin smaller (approx .051" smaller, comparing our two measurements), it's placement is not the same as the Encore inside the frame (.075" further back on the FX). Initially, it doesn't sound very significant, but look at .075 on your calipers, and then think of trying to push an Encore barrel back that far on your frame. It would never close.

Pics of the FX measurements:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Firearm%20pictures/FX%20frame%20to%20back%20of%20pin_zpsegx5uhhu.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Firearm%20pictures/FX%20pin%20diameter_zpslzm85hvt.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: The difference between an Encore / Prohunter and an FX frame [message #41576 is a reply to message #40039] Sun, 14 August 2016 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnwilliamson062 is currently offline  johnwilliamson062
Forum Newbie
I wondered about this for a while and your post convinced me, but...
The distance from the pin to the front of the frame is likely irrelevant. I can't think of anyway the front of the frame is used to index anything else on the gun to any sort of tight tolerance. I'm not saying you are incorrect. I think you probably are, but as far as "proof" is concerned, I would have to see a measurement from the pin to a surface that was important in relation to the barrel when locked. Of course, that wouldn't be easy to measure.

I would be very surprised if the internal lock loving S&W lawyers allowed the frames to be easily converted.
Re: The difference between an Encore / Prohunter and an FX frame [message #41577 is a reply to message #41576] Sun, 14 August 2016 16:08 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
The fact that the barrel lug is not set the same distance back in each frame negates the interchangeability. Even if the pins were the same size (they aren't), you couldn't get a regular Encore barrel to close in an FX frame due to the barrel lug's hole placement.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: Encore Assembly
Next Topic: Encore Screw and Breech Plug Sizes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:38:48 EDT 2024