Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » .357 Mag or Max?
.357 Mag or Max? [message #41664] Tue, 30 August 2016 11:26 Go to next message
CoronaGold is currently offline  CoronaGold
Forum Newbie
I've wanted a .357 Max for about as long as they have been around I guess. Think I first heard of this cartridge somewhere in the late eighties and it went on my list of things to have when I got old and rich. Well I never got rich but old is in sight and now I am rethinking. Should I get a bonfide .357 Maximum rifle barrel or just get a .357 Magnum and load it hot? I don't really need to kill anything, maybe a distant price of steel gets unruly and needs pinged on occasion.

I do appreciate accuracy. Would a large, slow chamber-full of powder launch big .357 slugs any more precisely than a shorter, crisper loading?

All comments welcome.
Re: .357 Mag or Max? [message #41665 is a reply to message #41664] Tue, 30 August 2016 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The real issue (for me) comes down to safety. Yes, you could push a 357 MAG in an Encore a bit further than you could in another platform. The question to ask is what if one of your rounds ends up in someone else's firearm? Or you forget and put it in another one of yours?

If you're going to shoot it hot and fast, go with the Max. If you want the option to go hot, get the max. If you want to shoot 357 mag, they shoot in the max too.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: .357 Mag or Max? [message #41668 is a reply to message #41665] Tue, 30 August 2016 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CoronaGold is currently offline  CoronaGold
Forum Newbie
Sad It is good to have the voice of crubear as a backup when the little voice in the back of my own head is tired of warning me.
Re: .357 Mag or Max? [message #41669 is a reply to message #41668] Wed, 31 August 2016 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Keeping in mind that "Experience is that small voice that says you did it wrong, AGAIN"

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: .357 Mag or Max? [message #41671 is a reply to message #41669] Wed, 31 August 2016 13:53 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
If you are just going for accuracy shooting steel, is it worth the extra hassle to go to max or just stick with mag? Every now and then I find myself considering the max then remember I already have a .35 Remington which will do everything and more. In my .357 mag contender, the throat is so long that I can seat my cast boolits almost as far out as the max OAL, so I am able to use just under Max loads in it and get similar performance without pressure issues. They are seated so long, you cannot accidentally chamber them in a .357 mag anyway.

Rosewood

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2016 13:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Barrel Question
Next Topic: help to decide
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:03:34 EDT 2024