Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » 6.5 creedmore (what do you think?)
6.5 creedmore [message #42846] Wed, 05 April 2017 09:44 Go to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I was reading about the 6.5 creedmore last night. I have always liked 6.5 caliber. This sounds very interesting. You can actually load longer bullets in a short action. What about the contender or encore? I did not look up the sammi specs or whatever, so I am not sure what the pressure limits are for this. Any thoughts? I shoot mostly handguns, but I could break down and try a rifle.
Re: 6.5 creedmore [message #42847 is a reply to message #42846] Wed, 05 April 2017 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Encore only. Go Grendel for contender. Much to be gained by the BC's of .264. My all time favorite... and Oswald's.

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: 6.5 creedmore [message #42850 is a reply to message #42847] Wed, 05 April 2017 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Any time you're curious about what will chamber in a Contender vs Encore, slide over the Bullberry or MGM and see their caliber listing. If they don't chamber it in that platform you don't want to shoot it. (as I get older there are some things I used to shoot I don't want to shoot anymore either)

MGM puts both the Creedmore and Grendel on the Encore only....

I'm mostly getting out of the Encore, but want ONE rifle barrel, I'm thinking of a step up barrel in the Creedmore

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: 6.5 creedmore [message #42853 is a reply to message #42850] Wed, 05 April 2017 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I agree with Crubear. I got into the Grendel for my AR but only shoot downloaded rounds in the contender.
Being conscious of your round's pressure in the contender is more than just important.
It's imperative!
SAAMI pressure standard 6.5 Grendel = 52,000
Load carefully for contender use.

Re: 6.5 creedmore [message #42855 is a reply to message #42853] Wed, 05 April 2017 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
TC put out 38 Special barrels for a while... then they found out that some folks were loading them to levels the cartridge should never be taken to. Seems a few folks forgot they had Contender only loads and put them in their S&W revolvers. Apparently the revolvers couldn't handle magnum loads...

In my not so humble opinion - if you can accidentally chamber a round that will make your firearm go boom, then
1) Make sure you clearly and permanently mark the cartridge box inside AND out - "DO NOT SHOOT IN ****, ONLY SHOOT IN *****"
2) Never take both sets of ammo and weapons on the same range trip --- Especially if you're going to let someone else shoot it.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 05 April 2017 17:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 6.5 creedmore [message #42856 is a reply to message #42855] Wed, 05 April 2017 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I think the 6.5 creedmore in a 12-15" encore would work very well.
I like the 12.5" contender for hunting better, but my hands can not open the contender as easy any more. Taking a chance on a nice buck I want every thing right, not that I would miss him with the first shot,LOL.
Re: 6.5 creedmore [message #42857 is a reply to message #42855] Wed, 05 April 2017 19:28 Go to previous message
Forum Regular
Sage advice indeed!
Actually my 'soft' loads cycle quite well in the AR, so I only use one load for both.
Thanks, Crubear.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 April 2017 20:19]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Contender Recocking
Next Topic: Cerakoted Contender in SOCOM Blue - I like it a lot!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 13:30:42 EDT 2024