Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Help! Sheared Forend Screw (TC Encore Turkey Barrel)
Help! Sheared Forend Screw [message #42918] Sun, 23 April 2017 11:15 Go to next message
SeanT83 is currently offline  SeanT83
Forum Newbie
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I bought an encore pro Hunter muzzleloader over the winter and love it.

Decided to buy a turkey barrel (12 gauge) for this spring.

Went to the range yesterday to work through patterns and loads. On the 11th shot the forearm came off and I was shocked to see that (1) the front screw had sheared off and (2) the back screw stripped out of the hole! Also, the plastic forearm cracked around the holes.

I was using 3 inch Winchester X, #6 shot at 1210 FPS (great pattern by the way) and not some uber heavy pterodactyl loads. I did not torque those screws hard.

I assume this is an unusual occurrence but have any of you run into it?

Thanks,

Sean
Re: Help! Sheared Forend Screw [message #42928 is a reply to message #42918] Mon, 24 April 2017 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Al in Mi is currently offline  Al in Mi
Novice Contributor
those dovetail locks in the barrel?
Re: Help! Sheared Forend Screw [message #42931 is a reply to message #42928] Mon, 24 April 2017 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeanT83 is currently offline  SeanT83
Forum Newbie
Yes
Re: Help! Sheared Forend Screw [message #42934 is a reply to message #42931] Tue, 25 April 2017 06:09 Go to previous message
Thomtender is currently offline  Thomtender
Novice Contributor
Just had the dove tail locks put in by my local gunsmith on a 358 Win. barrel that did the same thing. Have now fired about 40 rds of stout 358 Win. no problems yet. Purchased the locks on line and had the dove tails cut as I said. The forearm required drilling for the large bolt which also has the benefit of a socket head as opposed the to screw driver slot. Much better setup Smile
Previous Topic: change barrels
Next Topic: Glue on grip removal?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 00:20:49 EDT 2024