Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » M987 Warne base for tc contender (Not comparable with quick detach one piece)
M987 Warne base for tc contender [message #44606] Sat, 20 October 2018 15:30 Go to next message
mj30wilson is currently offline  mj30wilson
Forum Newbie
I have several barrels with the Warne steel m987 base on them. I thought it would be cool to have a quick detach base to switch between them. So I bought a American defense quich detach cantelever mount and my scope came with a team Warne one piece scopemount both of which the spacing does not work with the m987 base. Question is why would they product different spaces products? Is it only comparable with weaver style ar rails?
Re: M987 Warne base for tc contender [message #44608 is a reply to message #44606] Sat, 20 October 2018 17:54 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
AR rails are usually Picatinny. Most likely, the AD QD mount, and the Team Warne one-piece scope mount are Picatinny, while the M987 is Weaver.

Instead of trying to come up with my own version of the explanation, here is a cut and paste from Brownells on the differences:

Quote:
What are the differences between the "Picatinny" and the "Weaver" systems? The profile of the two systems is virtually identical. Depending on the quality of the machining done by the manufacturer, the two systems should be indistinguishable from the profile. The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206" wide and have a center-to-center width of .394". The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true "Picatinny" MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180" width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next. In many instances, a Weaver system has a specific application that it is machined for, so interchangeability is not necessarily an issue. A MIL-STD-1913 system must adhere to the specifications listed above in order for it to be considered MIL-STD, since the military desires uniformity in the recoil grooves to allow for different systems to be mounted on the weapon with no concern for compatibility.

Now, what does this mean to you? Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a "Picatinny" system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, "Picatinny" accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, "Picatinny" won't fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit "Picatinny".

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: Need Some Recommendations
Next Topic: Contender muzzleloader
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:15:11 EDT 2024