Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » QC pre vs. post S&W (Stainless steel frames)
QC pre vs. post S&W [message #44668] Thu, 08 November 2018 18:09 Go to next message
Tcencoress
Forum Newbie
Hello everyone! I'm new to the group but I've been reading all the discussions there have been on here over the last 7-8 years and let me say, you all are a wealth of information. But I wasn't able to find what I'm looking for.
I want to buy an encore frame in stainless steel but I am wondering if I would be better off just buying a new pro hunter frame, or if I should take my time and look for a used encore frame. One of the older ones that was made at the original plant in Rochester. I've read about some people having finish/rusting issues with the stainless pieces coming out of Springfield unless they kept them oiled meticulously.
I guess the real question is, do they use the same stainless now as they did back before the buyout? Everyone says the only difference between the plain encore and the encore pro hunter is the logo and the swing hammer. Maybe I'm just hoping the older ones hold up in the weather better.
Sorry this is so long but I appreciate any input you all may have.

-Chris

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2018 19:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: QC pre vs. post S&W [message #44673 is a reply to message #44668] Fri, 09 November 2018 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Original N.H. had rust issues as well. That's why I prefer blued frames and barrels - I just oil them, and if I get a little surface rust started, a piece of very fine steel wool with some oil squirted on it cleans it right up.

I still prefer N.H. manufactured for everything. The newer Springfield stuff isn't bad. I just have a preference for N.H. stuff. It looks and feels (to me) a little better.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: QC pre vs. post S&W [message #44675 is a reply to message #44668] Fri, 09 November 2018 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tcencoress
Forum Newbie
If that is the case then I may end up going with a blued one. Aesthetically I like the stainless frames better but with how much it rains in Washington, a blued one may be a more functional choice. Thank you for the advice.

-Chris
Re: QC pre vs. post S&W [message #44676 is a reply to message #44675] Fri, 09 November 2018 18:17 Go to previous message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
get the stainless and treat it with Tetra light oil the polymer coating left behind will take care of the metal just fine, no stainless barrel or action is rust proof regardless of manufacture
Previous Topic: Contender muzzleloader
Next Topic: 9mm Barrel With Vent Rib and Choke
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 08:30:19 EDT 2024