Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? (I want to shoot 22 long rifle with my Encore frames)
Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45851] Sun, 09 February 2020 09:30 Go to next message
luvmyencore is currently offline  luvmyencore
Forum Newbie
I want to get a 20 "plus" (no longer than 24") inch 22 Long Rifle barrel for my stainless Encore frames. Are there any real contenders (see what I did there?) to this arena? I've heard about conversion kits and different ways to adapt the centerfire Encore to be able to shoot the diminutive 22 LR cartridge but have never given it any serious dedication to purchase one, until now.

I want a stainless 22 LR barrel with open sights as well as being tapped for a scope, over 20 inches long. I want to put a set of Warne Quick Release rings on it, like I've done to most of my other Encore barrels that have the capability to shoot sans scope. I'm looking at EABCO and others, but I haven't seen anything that grabs my attention outright. Can I get some input as to the functionally and versatility of the best barrel maker's design of the 22 LR cartridge? Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, that describes their experience with this setup in the Encore format?
Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45856 is a reply to message #45851] Mon, 10 February 2020 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I've had two factory Encore barrels (21" and 28" Pro Hunter) that were phenomenally accurate - both made with the offset chamber. The PH required a pair of pliers to get the spent case out, but man could it shoot. And quiet too - the hammer was louder than the shot itself. I keep trying to get the 21" back from the guy I sold it to. Someone on here bought the other as well.

Like any barrel/cartridge - you can pay for a custom or get an equally accurate barrel by pure chance.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45894 is a reply to message #45856] Thu, 20 February 2020 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the response. I was wondering how the factory barrels take care of the rimfire offset, and whether the regular T/C barrels can just handle them without any kind of special firing pin or something like that? You say they are "Offset". I guess I've just never done much research into the matter. Does the fact that the chamber is offset be the cause for the stuck cases?

I know that Bullberry made barrels, but I don't want to break the bank if the factory barrels shoot fine. It's going to be for plinking and target shooting anyway. Thanks again.
Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45900 is a reply to message #45894] Fri, 21 February 2020 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
TC basically drilled the bore slightly off center so that the firing pin hits the top of the rim.

Like any TC barrel, some shoot lights out and others shoot random patterns. What has always struck me as odd is that a barrel that won't shoot for one person is MOA for another. At any rate, the 5 barrels I owned were all good shooters in 22lr.

As for the barrel that I had to use pliers for it was the chamber as far as I can tell. Almost as if it was wider at the front than the back. Unfired rounds would easily chamber and extract. Pull the trigger and the extractor would pull the case out so you could get it, but finger strength wasn't enough to pull it out.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45901 is a reply to message #45900] Fri, 21 February 2020 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks, I was thinking that the barrel offset you mentioned was the exactly what you explained. I don't know if I would be comfortable with an off centered tube, but if it shot well, then so be it. Knowing myself the way I do, I would have taken some Flitz metal polish on a rag in a drill, and polished it, or at least the section in question, until the case came out without the force of a pliers.

I usually don't trust used barrels, as I am a firm believer that if they are "Shooters" (Lights out), then I wouldn't sell it. That means if they aren't shooters, they are usually sold off. I know that's not the always case. I don't mind spending a bit more for a good product, but $500 plus for a 22 rimfire barrel is a bit steep for me. That keeps custom makers out of the loop. I may look to find a new factory barrel for now. Thanks again.
Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45902 is a reply to message #45901] Fri, 21 February 2020 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
luvmyencore wrote on Fri, 21 February 2020 11:58

I usually don't trust used barrels, as I am a firm believer that if they are "Shooters" (Lights out), then I wouldn't sell it. That means if they aren't shooters, they are usually sold off. I know that's not the always case. I don't mind spending a bit more for a good product, but $500 plus for a 22 rimfire barrel is a bit steep for me. That keeps custom makers out of the loop. I may look to find a new factory barrel for now. Thanks again.

Actually, that is just as likely to be "seldom the case". People sell off barrels for all kinds of reasons, and I've personally sold some real shooters over the years.

I have bought and sold at least 4 (that I can remember) 26" heavy profile factory .25-06 barrels, and all were outstanding shooters, even with inexpensive factory ammo. I'd buy, work up a load (which in many cases was the same or very close to the previous .25-06 load I worked up for previous barrels), and then for whatever reason (boredom, lack of use, found something newer I wanted, someone offered me good money for it, or in one case, just helping out a friend), I sold or traded it.

I recently moved back to VA (muzzleloading and shotgun slugs for deer in my area). When I had moved to TX over 10 years ago, there was no muzzleloading season, and center fire rifles were allowed, so I had sold off my muzzleloader / slug shotgun stuff. I had to re-buy that stuff when I moved back to VA, and since I couldn't use centerfire rifles to hunt deer in my area, I sold off some great shooters (7mm-08, 6.8 SPC), as well as a .243 I had bought for my son but he never used because he preferred his .357 Max, and a .22-250 that I bought for hunting coyotes in TX, but never got the chance to shoot.

So don't be shy in buying used barrels. We have some great members on this site that have been buying and selling for many years. Do a bit of homework in checking out sellers in the feedback section, and good luck in finding something you like.

Personal opinion - I love my Contenders, G2 Contenders, and Encores. But when it comes to rimfire, Ruger normally has my attention these days. The TCR22 by Thompson Center has been on my list since it was first announced. As it's basically a Ruger 10/22 variant (uses the same magazines as well), I'll likely purchase one someday (hopefully soon).

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Fri, 21 February 2020 12:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45903 is a reply to message #45902] Fri, 21 February 2020 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I get barrels, I try them out, I let them go... somewhere there's a picture of a couple dozen barrels I had. I'm down to 1 Encore (15" 22LR barrel) and 6 Contender (which will soon be two). I got tired of going to the range with a bunch of barrels and not having time to shoot them all, or not having the right ammo, or....

I thought of polishing the chamber, but it was so stinking accurate I wasn't going to risk anything changing it. Sold it to someone on this site and they had the same result. Don't think they fixed it either - just carried a pair of pliers with them.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 February 2020 16:30]

Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45904 is a reply to message #45903] Sat, 22 February 2020 08:32 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
I don't usually have a lot in common with most people when it comes to personal property. I can admit to being a hoarder, so if I see something of value in my possession, I'd have to be dead broke in order to sell it off. Fortunately that has not happened to me in the past. I liken my beliefs of prized possessions to my camera lenses.

I own quite a few really accurate lenses that are harder to come by than a lot of other items, so I know that a good one is worth hanging on to. When some lenses are over 2 grand, you cannot afford to be nonchalant about allowing them to be lost in a trade, or sold off, just because I'm not using them as much as I may have in the past. I have been gun shy of buying used lenses due to the fact that they usually don't measure up to my expectations, because I know what a great copy of a lens can do. It only takes a couple of captures to tell how good they are, through the feeling you get when looking at some samples. It's like you've found a needle in a haystack when you don't have to individualize each lens to different camera bodies in order to take great pictures. If an expensive lens works with all of my camera bodies without fail, and is impressive across the board, I'm not letting go of that lens, period. I realize that barrels are not the same thing as camera lenses, but I'll never get some things out of my system.

The moving analogy makes the most sense. I've never lived in anything but a shotgun only deer hunting area, but I've had some good hunting time put in to centerfire counties in my state, so it's not like I never get to use my accurate centerfire barrels, but time spent with them is certainly not as much as I'd like. If I lived in centerfire country, and could use them a lot more than I do now, perhaps I wouldn't be using my shotguns as much, so that would flip the scenario. I think I've just come to realize that I like to hunt more than I do target shoot, and that puts me in a different realm than someone who is a fervent target shooter. I would be more apt to sell of and trade barrels if I were a dedicated target shooter. I believe that may play a big role in my hesitation to do what a lot of guys do in the buy/sell/trade arena.

EDIT: I had only been started in the interest of T/C Encore due to the muzzle loader seasons. I started fooling around with different barrels only because I could. I like to shoot my guns, but I don't really have any place close that I can go to shoot them. I bought a second frame because I wanted to get my wife interested in the sport, and I already had two muzzle loader barrels, so I figured I'd put two rifles together so we could hunt together. Of course it's cliche to want to have your spouse as a scapegoat into why you need another frame, or barrel, or stock set, or all three.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 February 2020 08:38]

Previous Topic: Stainless frame with a "5" in the prefix instead of an "S"
Next Topic: What's your Unicorn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:13:15 EDT 2024