Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? (Bullberry throwing in the towel)
Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #45826] Sat, 01 February 2020 09:47 Go to next message
luvmyencore is currently offline  luvmyencore
Forum Newbie
It looks like Fred Smith has closed shop at his Bullberry Barrel Works enterprise. Will the barrels that exist floating around in the market become collectable? Are there any remarkable barrels that members have that are worth commenting on? I have a couple, and had BB do my trigger work on both of my encore frames. The triggers are really nice now. I believe that his daughter September did the last one, as she was the "Got to girl" for the trigger jobs done at BB for the last few years of operation. I also had them cut off the "QLA" off of both of my muzzle-loader barrels and had them re-crowned. I didn't notice a huge difference either way, but I kind of like not having them. I believe that Fred had remarked to me that they were a "Gimmick". He said that he had taken the QLA off of many barrels over the years.

I guess one of the more serious issues to address here is the Bullberry Hanger System. The specialized hangar bar and associated screws will now have to be sourced by MGM I suppose, if there is any need for repair or replacement. I am wondering if MGM has the exact same dimensions on their hanger bars, seeing as they basically just took them with them when they left out of Fred's shop when they went out on their own. They called them "Virgin Valley Hanger Bars" I do believe. I have the Bullberry hanger bars on a Bullberry 270 Win and a Bullberry 300 Win Mag. Both of these barrels came with them, and I have two black synthetic forends, and a camouflaged one that are equipped with the hanger bar system. My hope is that all of these systems are the same hole pattern, therefore being interchangeable.

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I will be going to MGM and Haus Of Arms in the future for my T/C needs.
Re: Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #45827 is a reply to message #45826] Sat, 01 February 2020 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Progress or egress, so many have gone away.
Coyote Guns, Ingram, and Kendrick, they all hold special significance for us shooters.
I can't say that they garner 'collector' status or elevated value.
The market will always determine their demand.
I personally do gravitate my interests toward those items that are no longer available, especially when they're based on the 'wild side'.
I'm unfamiliar with the hangar bar spacing that Fred used at Bullberry and can't comment on it's comparison with others.
I have taken great joy in woodworking furniture designs for my contenders and often incorporate forearm spacing to accommodate multiple spacings.

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #45833 is a reply to message #45827] Mon, 03 February 2020 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The only maker I've heard of who has "highly desired" barrel status was OTT and that's because of the way he cut his chambers. Over the years I've had many BB barrels - one or two I wish I'd kept. In the end, it will come down to what you see them as.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #45841 is a reply to message #45833] Wed, 05 February 2020 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Looks like they aren't gone after all. From their Facebook page:

It was beyond difficult to announce our plans for retirement a few months back. Today, it is our pleasure to share the official news that Troy, our long-time lead machinist and Fred's right-hand man, will be taking the reins to bring you Bullbery Legacy!

Bullberry Legacy is Troy's new company that will feature the same dedication to accuracy that you have come to know and expect from the 40 years of Bullberry products that preceded.

Read more about this development at http://www.bullberry.com.

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2020 19:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #45842 is a reply to message #45841] Fri, 07 February 2020 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvmyencore is currently offline  luvmyencore
Forum Newbie
Thanks for that. I guess the company called "Bullberry" had to close due to the legal ramifications if Fred had just allowed Troy to keep the business in the old company's name. I get it that there is a fierce brand loyalty here, and some folks just like certain company's and dislike others. It seems there is no real middle ground in the barrel makers world among T/C fans.

I was going to add that I thought that Fred's daughter, September Smith, would carry on some of the business aspects of the company. Hopefully she will be continuing on with Troy to keep some of these barrels in production. Maybe Troy will branch out to get some new technology worked into the BB line of products? Who knows?

The website must have been updated, as the last time I looked, just before I posted my OP, it read, "Gone Fishing". There was a picture of Fred Smith with a catfish on the home page. I see that it's been updated. Maybe I can get some deals on stubs that are laying around that are wanting to be made into pistol barrels?

[Updated on: Fri, 07 February 2020 13:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #45843 is a reply to message #45842] Sat, 08 February 2020 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Bullberry Legacy lives on!
Thanks to Troy

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #45924 is a reply to message #45843] Tue, 03 March 2020 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Muffin is currently offline  Muffin
Novice Contributor
Newbie here.... but I ordered a barrel from Troy last week.... Same price structure as before. My understanding is that Troy has been doing the work for the last decade+ anyway......
Re: Will Bullberry be more collectable now that they are retired? [message #46061 is a reply to message #45924] Mon, 01 June 2020 08:27 Go to previous message
Muffin is currently offline  Muffin
Novice Contributor
One of the very first Bullberry Legacy Bbls.. Smile

https://i.imgur.com/fbViKPy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xMlHEdN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PhwDoSY.jpg
Previous Topic: Knurled screws for forends
Next Topic: So where have all the barrels gone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:43:19 EDT 2024