Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Alliant Powders (Powder availability)
Alliant Powders [message #46888] Wed, 20 October 2021 14:37 Go to next message
Longshot509 is currently offline  Longshot509
Forum Newbie
Just wondering how many of you that reload your own are going to buy Alliant powders IF they ever do get back to producing them and selling to the "little guy" like you and me? There has been nothing to see from them for several years, the story being that they are selling all their production to the big commercial reloaders, and have thrown the people that buy a pound of this and a pound of that under the bus. I have been using Alliant and their former Hercules powders since 1975, but doubt that I will ever buy from them again once my current stock runs out. I am replacing everything Alliant with Hodgdon, who still makes their products available and can cover all reloading situations with Hodgdon, IMR, or Winchester propellants. Just curious to hear what people have to say on this? I kind of take this like when you call a big company customer service number and get the recording, "Continue to hold, your call is important to us", even though they don't think it really is.
Re: Alliant Powders [message #46891 is a reply to message #46888] Thu, 21 October 2021 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
These days, if I can find it I buy it.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Alliant Powders [message #46892 is a reply to message #46891] Thu, 21 October 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Alliant Customer Service is the bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately... I need Blue Dot, Red Dot, Herco, Pro Reach, etc.... If another company made an exact substitute, I'd never purchase another Alliant Powder again. But that's not the case, so I will continue to buy when available.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Alliant Powders [message #46895 is a reply to message #46892] Mon, 25 October 2021 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longshot509 is currently offline  Longshot509
Forum Newbie
I use Blue Dot now in the 38 Special +P, and have found a good replacement for that in one of the newer Winchester powders, W244. One thing about Blue Dot was that back in the day at least, I can recall in 1977 I had a Ruger Security Six in 357 Mag and had a JHP load with Blue Dot that shot real well during the warm summer months. We used to take it along when the wife and I went to my father inlaws place and go and shoot behind the barn. One time I did this when it was during the winter and about 10 degrees out and I shot 6 rounds from the Ruger and could not get the empty cases out of the cylinder. I did not want to damage anything, so I left them in the gun and when I got home used a wooden dowel and a mallet to "extract" the empties. The Blue Dot back then at least was very temperature sensitive to cold weather. The W244 is a ball powder and meters very well and shoots great, with the chronograph showing velocities very close to what would be expected.
Re: Alliant Powders [message #46899 is a reply to message #46895] Mon, 25 October 2021 20:02 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I’m using Blue Dot for shotgun though - in particular, 20 gauge slugs. For those applications, there’s a lot of Blue Dot, Herco, Pro Reach, Steel, etc... In Winchester, I use some WSF for 20 gauge slugs, and 296 for .410.

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: .357 Remington Maximum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 01 20:10:16 EST 2021