Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Hammer sometimes won’t cock
Hammer sometimes won’t cock [message #47267] Wed, 22 June 2022 22:48 Go to next message
Singleshotguy is currently offline  Singleshotguy
Forum Newbie
I know if the barrel is not on or if the stock screw is too long then the encore will not cock. That is not my issue. I recently picked up another frame on gun broker and stuck my MGM 45-70 barrel on it. I am shooting Hornady factory FTX lever evolution ammo. I had zero cocking issues when this barrel was on another frame.

I assembled the gun and it cocked fine in my living room. I went hunting yesterday and stalked and got up within shooting range of a large wild hog and when I went to cock the gun it wouldn’t. I tried several times and finally gave up. Very frustrating. On my walk back to the truck I found that it cocks every time with no round in the chamber but I tried again with a loaded chamber and it wouldn’t cock.

I did some experimenting tonight and it cocks 100% of the time empty or with a fired shell in the chamber. Loaded with a live round it will cock 0% of the time if you close the action gently or what I consider normally but if you slam it shut fairly hard it seems to cock 100% of the time.

What could be my issue?
Re: Hammer sometimes won’t cock [message #47268 is a reply to message #47267] Thu, 23 June 2022 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
With the barrel out of the frame, put a round in the chamber and run your finger across the base of the brass. If it's sticking out a bit it's keeping the barrel from locking up solid.

Are you using factory or reloads?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Hammer sometimes won’t cock [message #47269 is a reply to message #47268] Fri, 24 June 2022 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Singleshotguy is currently offline  Singleshotguy
Forum Newbie
It feels like it is flush to me. I am using factory Hornady lever evolution 325gr ftx ammo.
Re: Hammer sometimes won’t cock [message #47270 is a reply to message #47269] Fri, 24 June 2022 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
The locking lug requires a bit of dressing with a stone
Only when you slam it shut is it afforded the opportunity of fully locking under the receiver's 'shelf'
https://i.postimg.cc/L816dNj9/bolt-dressing-x-sm.jpg
A sharpening stone will polish the face required
DO NOT USE A FILE!

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Hammer sometimes won’t cock [message #47271 is a reply to message #47270] Fri, 24 June 2022 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
On some frame barrel combos even just a few thousands of case protrusion will stop it from closing fully, Try another brand of ammo, Maybe the bullet is contacting the lands, if you are able seat the bullet 5 thousands more and try again if it will then cock you will still be to close to the lands, about 10 thousands is good. It could also be case bulge at the crimp that you can measure with your bench calipers Lever Evolution ammo is made for lever guns that have a sloppy chamber,

Hope that helps

If fixing the ammo does not work Jimmy's suggestion of stoning the latches works very well it takes patience just a little goes along way when you are this close, I would use only a very square edged not worn hard stone, buy a long thin stone so you can grip it and see that you are running true, I use the stones that are mounted to a plastic holder ( handle) made by Lanskey for their sharping system

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2022 09:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hammer sometimes won’t cock [message #47272 is a reply to message #47271] Wed, 29 June 2022 11:08 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Try taking the firing pin assembly out, clean the parts and the frame (making sure to remove any grit), lube, and then put it back together and see what happens.

Before you stone it.
1) degrease the locking bolts.
2) put the barrel into the frame (no cartridge)
3) mark the bolts with a dry erase marker
4) open and close the frame a few times, and note where the marking stops.

5) put a cartridge in the barrel and repeat steps three and four.

If there's a difference then stoning will probably fix it. Just don't stone it so the whole bolt slides under. Only about two thirds - otherwise you'll have a loose barrel lockup.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2022 11:09]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Long range open sights
Next Topic: Contender parts sources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:35:17 EDT 2024