Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » TC Encore Barrel stub
Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47309 is a reply to message #47308] Sun, 28 August 2022 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
or just go retail/discount from the Guru
https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/AJRTC9B-fxN3Ywut 0QB9AP_9_wc

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47311 is a reply to message #47309] Mon, 29 August 2022 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rawhide67 is currently offline  Rawhide67
Forum Newbie
A lot of reading on Bellm’s site. Some of it talks about barrel stubs, but without detail. He goes in to great detail about pressure and cartridges for the contender, and even shows one that was a stub project. Most of his work seems to be with rimmed wildcats based on 444, 30-30, 357 cases. The photo I saw tells me that wall thickness must be a combination of both the donor barrel wall and the stub wall added together.

A perusal through a site that was linked from Saubier has math equations for calculating pressure, that are beyond my comprehension. And for whatever reason, Saubier will not let me post replies, ask questions, or really do anything that I couldn’t do before I registered.

Reeder might do the job if I wanted to send it to him, but I’m inclined to think these guys wouldn’t discuss this issue over the phone, it’s taking time away from business and losing potential work. Kinda like walking into the local car repair shop and picking their brain about what’s wrong with your car.

When you read Bellm’s info, he sounds like he’s done a lot of these, David White as well, there must be people out there with these barrels. Or somebody who has done it on their own. I can’t be the only garage gunsmith with this idea.

Gemihur, you and I may be the only 2 people on the planet currently interested in this.
Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47312 is a reply to message #47311] Tue, 30 August 2022 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Naw not alone, I am just watching you two beat your face against the wall.... Reminds me of my many such projects, Like making 20 cases for a 132 year old rifle that only took about 200 hours to do and I never shoot (swore I would never repeat that again), maybe shot 50 rounds through it 15 years ago after all the die cutting head scratching finger cramping pondering a load etc. Right there with you, I have repeated the same exercise many other times for rifles I dont even own, for a buddy's 1890s German double rifle managed to get 18 functional cases after about 250 hours and numerous failures.

I think someone said to me once but that's what's fun about it, Comedians in every crowd
Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47313 is a reply to message #47312] Tue, 30 August 2022 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Rawhide,
Sunny is right. Sometimes you've gotta pick your battles.
I try to be constructive with my time and generally stick to what works for me.
I expand my horizons whenever possible but know when to pause and reflect.
I do wish you great success in your endeavors.
Sunny's insinuated advice is that of a sage, I assure you.
Thanks,
Jimmy

Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47314 is a reply to message #47312] Tue, 30 August 2022 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Sunnysmarine, as your name implies, you are a ray of sunshine in my dark contender stub world. I’m going to do this come hell or high water, and I’ll keep putting feelers out til I find someone who is willing to offer some measurements for their barrel, their experience. I’m stubborn. Laughing

Just put in an offer on another site on a Douglas barrel blank in 6.5. Might as well start sharpening my lathe threading skills.
Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47315 is a reply to message #47314] Tue, 30 August 2022 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
David White, Charged 440.00 labor plus 25.00 to return ship, That was some years ago
Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47316 is a reply to message #47315] Tue, 30 August 2022 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
No point going that route unless MGM didn’t offer the caliber I wanted. White and Bellm did a lot of calibers based off rimmed cartridges to keep chamber pressure down

I have an unchambered Douglas 6.5 barrel on the way. Once that arrives, I will likely start work on this project. Unless someone with more knowledge than me tells me the 6.5 Grendel is too much for the Encore and the application I have in mind.
Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47318 is a reply to message #47316] Tue, 30 August 2022 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Rawhide,
Look up member 48473 and view his posts here
He lives about 100 miles SW of me in Davenport, VA
Don't know his eagerness to share but he recently got out of a long running custom gunsmithing business (building custom contender and encore barrels)
I've long followed his posts on other forums and saw a lot of his ingenious work
If I were gonna do what I believe you intend to, I'd pick his brain, if possible
Good Luck,
Jimmy

Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47319 is a reply to message #47318] Tue, 30 August 2022 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Looks like he hasnt been on here under that name since 2013. Like the Hee Haw song said, if it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all.

Google search found what may be him, have to find contact info now.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2022 19:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TC Encore Barrel stub [message #47320 is a reply to message #47319] Tue, 30 August 2022 20:27 Go to previous message
Forum Regular
sent you an email message thru TC Encore classifieds

Previous Topic: Katahdin barrel
Next Topic: T/C Encore Varmint Style Forend
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:43:33 EDT 2024