Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » T/C Encore Varmint Style Forend
icon6.gif  T/C Encore Varmint Style Forend [message #47408] Sun, 06 November 2022 06:40 Go to next message
flexxo is currently offline  flexxo
Forum Newbie
Since there is currently not a good way to get Encore parts out of the US for a reasonable price I designed my own forend an printed it in PA12-CF15.

Features: QD sling mount, cartrigde holder attachmentpoints on both sides

PA12-CF15 is pretty impact resistant and resistant to chemicals. It's prone to creep however, so I made ABS inserts for the screw attachment points to mitigate that issue.
So far it holds up to .500 S&W Magnum recoil just fine. I've shot around 20 rounds with a pistol grip during which my red dot came loose due to a bend screw. An additional 20 rounds where done in the rifle configuration.

Re: T/C Encore Varmint Style Forend [message #47409 is a reply to message #47408] Sun, 06 November 2022 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
suggestion, your ABS inserts (maybe consider brass) make them 1/16 to 3/32 proud (higher) than the inner surface of the forend, Venting the forend would look good also

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2022 10:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: T/C Encore Varmint Style Forend [message #47411 is a reply to message #47408] Sun, 06 November 2022 11:54 Go to previous message
flexxo is currently offline  flexxo
Forum Newbie
They are actually 1/64 to 1/32 proud.
I did actually consider going with brass, aluminium or steel. ABS is just fine for that kind of load and I don't have a convenient access to a lathe. If it doesn't work they can be replaced easy.

Venting is not a good idea. Vents would either need to be parallel to the bottom to be printed properly (bridging) or I'd need supports. I didn't want to invest the efford to find the proper recipe for bridging or supports for that material.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2022 11:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: TC Encore Barrel stub
Next Topic: Snap on forend question.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 19:03:42 EDT 2024