Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Firing 300 win mag (I'm configuring my Thompson Encore as a .300 win mag with a 28 in barrel, looking for recommendations)
Firing 300 win mag [message #47680] Tue, 22 August 2023 18:55 Go to next message
Schutzenfest is currently offline  Schutzenfest
Forum Newbie
I have a Thompson Encore currently with a 10 in 45-70 barrel and a pistol grip. Aside from the novelty though, I am pretty sure I'd rather configure it as anything else and am trying to build out a longer range setup. I've got a stock, fore grip, and 28 in barrel to configure it to .300 Win mag, a cartridge I'm sure is up to the job. My big question, however, is should I be planning to tap the barrel upon receipt and start setting up for a muzzle brake or suppressor? I'm thinking that even with the butt pad, this is going to really kick and significantly limit who among my friends and family can shoot it, not to mention severely reduce my endurance when honing in at the range. I'd love to hear any of your experience putting large rounds through or installing aftermarket parts. I've got a scope in my sights as well, just need to save up a bit before investing in that too. I'd love some input.
Re: Firing 300 win mag [message #47682 is a reply to message #47680] Wed, 23 August 2023 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Muzzle brakes have their place in the shooting sports.
When they became popular, years back, I drank the Kool-Aid. I have barrels today that I wish had not been 'vented'.
Before you commit to your plan shoot a range of loadings to determine it's feasibility.
Having shot your 10" 45-70 is not a fair comparison.
Loads can be adjusted as to bullet weight and propellant and as a reloader, my assumption, you can groom the gun's affect on the shooter.
I don't shoot the Win Mag but I do shoot my Whelen extensively on the Encore frame and you might be surprised what reality provides.
I'm not suggesting that your 9 year old daughter range test your barrel but your 20 year old son might respect the awesomeness that a belted case deserves.

There still exists an appreciation of original equipment

Think twice...shoot once.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 August 2023 08:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Firing 300 win mag [message #47683 is a reply to message #47682] Wed, 23 August 2023 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Defently get a brake properly installed, research smiths in your local some wont do encores or contenders you may have to resort to mailing it off there are some very reliable smiths who will not leave you sorry, The knarley tank brakes are the best.
for the 300 I would have it with out doubt braked, A removable brake and have a thread protector also, Using the brake for practice and development no brake while hunting. With my 300 win with brake, My then 12 year old 5 foot still 13 years later 5 foot daughter Started each session with 20 rounds with out much pause the barrel was hottttt, She would then take a 30 minute break then at least 10 more at the 500 yard gong smiling the entire time, With out the brake she would still shoot but more like 10 then done, I did raise 3 tom boys The trick to this is buy 2 of each then you might get to shoot as well,

Brakes are LOUD they direct the blast ( gasses) back at you, Wear foam plugs AND the highest reduction hearing protectors at the same time I did not in those days really wished I had. (Peltor ultimate 10 is what I use now)
Re: Firing 300 win mag [message #47684 is a reply to message #47683] Wed, 23 August 2023 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
An option to try is the Witt Machine clamp on brake. I don't have one, but a shooting buddy does and he swears by them. There are plenty of videos showing you how they work on YouTube. For under $100 it's something to check out - wait for a sale to save even more.

On the hearing protection side - as someone who wears hearing aids - ALWAYS!!!!!!! wear hearing protection!!!!!! If you hear ringing in your ears after an activity you've damaged your hearing - concert, shooting, lawn mowing, headphones, etc. At some point your mind won't be able to compensate and tinnitus will be your constant ear ringing companion for the rest of your life. Not being able to hear your (grand)kids when they talk to you sucks.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Firing 300 win mag [message #47685 is a reply to message #47684] Wed, 23 August 2023 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AMEN... The ringing sucks and never goes away, I have a clamp on brake from witt stainless barrels ok not good for blue they do scratch

[Updated on: Wed, 23 August 2023 12:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Firing 300 win mag [message #47686 is a reply to message #47685] Thu, 24 August 2023 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
WHAT?

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Firing 300 win mag [message #47688 is a reply to message #47686] Thu, 24 August 2023 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=8748&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_0390.jpeg
    (Size: 397.49KB, Downloaded 98 times)

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Firing 300 win mag [message #47689 is a reply to message #47688] Fri, 25 August 2023 00:13 Go to previous message
Now thats funny stuff right there Laughing Rolling Eyes Shocked
Previous Topic: TCA Contender Identification
Next Topic: A helpful selling format for you
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 10:53:41 EDT 2024