Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Encore pistol .460 sw mag (scope ???)
Encore pistol .460 sw mag [message #7003] Wed, 30 November 2011 07:19 Go to next message
vstarmark is currently offline  vstarmark
Forum Newbie
Hey All,

I have an Encore pistol in the .460 sw mag., with a JP Howitzer muzzle break from the E.Arther Brown Co. I had a Simmons pro hunter scope on it but I could not keep it from coming loose. I had the rings loc-tited and tight, but after 5 shots the scope would start rotating. After re-tightening the rings and three shots later the scope got blurry, and that was the end of that. Can anyone recommend a good scope and ring set-up for this caliber?
Thanks
Re: Encore pistol .460 sw mag [message #7005 is a reply to message #7003] Wed, 30 November 2011 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I have a three ring scope base (Redfield) on mine. Hasn't come loose yet. Used clear nail polish to "paint" the base in. In all likelihood the scope would survive if the rings didn't come loose, so I wouldn't give up on the Simmons just yet. No scope I've had ever survived a loudenboomer when the rings kept coming loose (including one Leupold)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Encore pistol .460 sw mag [message #7016 is a reply to message #7005] Wed, 30 November 2011 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vstarmark is currently offline  vstarmark
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the input, unfortunately the tube on the scope got bent somehow and looking through it is like looking through the opposite end.The base never loosened up on me just the rings. Thanks for the reply though every bit of info is welcome. (I like the idea of the nail polish). I'll also do the three ring set-up, there was not enough room on the Simmons for three. Perhaps the next one.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2011 17:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Encore pistol .460 sw mag [message #7083 is a reply to message #7003] Sat, 03 December 2011 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolverine is currently offline  wolverine
Novice Contributor
I have a 460 S&W barrel on my encore pistol. I use rings that have 3bands ,6set screws per ring. They seem to hold the recoil. I even put a light coating of Loc-Tite inside the rings to secure the scope and on all mounting screws.How do like the Howitzer brake? I went with a Quiet Brake on mine, still thumps pretty good ,just less muzzle rise.Do you reload your rounds, if so what have you found to be a good load. For plinking I use 16gr of Trail Boss, 40 gr of 4198 for hunting load, but it kicks like a mule.
Re: Encore pistol .460 sw mag [message #7100 is a reply to message #7083] Sun, 04 December 2011 16:15 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

ultra-dot... only way to go
Previous Topic: Color question
Next Topic: whats your favorite encore/contender barrel?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 06:06:53 EDT 2024