Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Shorten my stock...
Shorten my stock... [message #3129] Tue, 25 January 2011 20:57 Go to next message
Wilber is currently offline  Wilber
Forum Newbie
Has anyone ever shortened a wood stock? I have an Encore stock that I want to shorten for my 11 year old. Can a basic woodworker do a good job?

[Updated on: Tue, 25 January 2011 20:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Shorten my stock... [message #3130 is a reply to message #3129] Tue, 25 January 2011 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom in Arizona is currently offline  Tom in Arizona
Forum Newbie
In an old gunsmithing book (I used to know where I had put it) described a method of drilling two holes in the end of the stock and inserting dowels to align the cutoff sections. Then the end of the stock is cut off in 1" or 1/2" increments. New dowels are added when the sections are later added to the stock as the child grows.

I believe this method was intended for a wood stock with a stock bolt going into a receiver, however I think you may be able to fabricate something like that to keep the sections in place.

Of course you woodworking skills will determine how well the job looks. I have cut some stocks, but I usually ended up refinishing the entire stock.

Tom
Re: Shorten my stock... [message #3134 is a reply to message #3130] Wed, 26 January 2011 05:29 Go to previous message
Wilber is currently offline  Wilber
Forum Newbie
That is an awesome idea Tom. I may try that. Thanks.
Previous Topic: Full length forearm for pistole
Next Topic: .311 bullets in a .308 bore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:31:43 EDT 2024