Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Inputs needed on Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail (Encore setup to take TN whitetail w/ prefer scope & forearm)
Inputs needed on Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33649] Wed, 22 October 2014 23:02 Go to next message
NotPETA is currently offline  NotPETA
Forum Newbie
I mentor a number of youths as well as run an extremely busy company based outside Nashville TN. I really like to spend time on the range or in a field but I have too much to do in too little of a time, so a barrel and optics setup is extremely attractive to me. I have 2 youths not of my own that really want to harvest a deer this year, so off the shelf ammo is best since I will not be able to load any custom recipes. I have my own encore that a taken a number of deer & turkey with but honest I dunno if the "Prohunter" barrels will work in its frame. I'm looking for 243 area barrel, something to take youths on deer hunts and maybe a predator hunt, I feel 223 is too small of a bullet for a newbie to take a deer with but there are alot more seasoned people on this then me. I did a quick search and there is a lot that may work for me but I'm asking for some help from fellow conservation minded adults.

Yours truly in conservation,

Bob

Bob

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2014 12:42] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33653 is a reply to message #33649] Thu, 23 October 2014 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I know it isn't alway courtesous to comment on somebody's WTB/WTS post but in this case I think it is justified. Don't be concerned about a ProHunter barrel. ProHunter and regular barrels are completely interchangeable with ProHunter and regular frames. The only difference in the ProHunter barrel involves things like length, fluting, etc. Good luck in your search.
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33655 is a reply to message #33653] Thu, 23 October 2014 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigdave1977 is currently offline  bigdave1977
Novice Contributor
The prohunter barrels should work fine with your encore frame. .243 should be fine for the kids unless they are small, in that case you could also try a 22-250, I have a cousin that was smallish and recoil sensitive growing up that took several whitetail with a 22-250 with good shot placement.

Dave
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33658 is a reply to message #33655] Thu, 23 October 2014 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Also, don't turn down a good deal on a 7mm-08. That cartridge is fairly low recoiling but with Remington Reduced Recoil ammo, it has even less recoil than a .243.
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33661 is a reply to message #33658] Thu, 23 October 2014 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
There's others like the 260 rem. Too bad the 7TCU didn't become a factory round, nor regularly chambered for the encore, all the TCU versions are well suited for kids, women, and smallish or recoil-sensitive guys. They'll easily kill a smallish whitetail at 200. I do commend your mentoring kids even tho they aren't your own, we need more of that, I guess we think alike (I do as well). I don't want this thread to be deleted so I'll move it to "General" Once you decide the particulars You can post a WTB for what caliber you decide on.
Jim
Jim
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33669 is a reply to message #33661] Thu, 23 October 2014 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NotPETA is currently offline  NotPETA
Forum Newbie
Ok thanks for all the input, but I'm new to forum protocol. Did I do something wrong that is request is not listed under the for sale/ looking to buy section? Also what does it mean when I read "TTT" To The TOP?? I know the post has not been up long but I don't see many, barrel, forearm & optics setups on this, maybe not up for sale often or just go quickly. Next weekend is our youth season and I just don't think I will be able to get all ducks lined up because of that dang WORK thing. I will keep searching and honestly thank you for making it clear that a pro-hunter barrel will work.

Bob

Bob
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33670 is a reply to message #33661] Thu, 23 October 2014 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stealydan is currently offline  stealydan
Novice Contributor
the .243 is way more adaptable than the 22-250. you can buy 55gr. ammo off the shelf for the .243 and it will perform nearly identical. but you can also increase the weight of the bullet to accommodate different shooters and game. just my 2 cents.
ps the .243 with 100 gr bullets will knock the heck out of a deer, but not the shooter.
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33671 is a reply to message #33670] Thu, 23 October 2014 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
NotPETA, to answer your forum questions:

Not really "wrong" but the Gun Talk section is for information like you are getting now. The Classified section is when you want to buy or sell a specific item. In your case, the original post was a little of both (information request and purchase request). I think James did you a favor moving it up into the Gun Talk section so that you could get enough information to narrow your search.

As to the phrase "to the top", it is called bumping. It is done by people selling an item when it has been a week or so since they originally posted it with no takers. Bumping it brings the topic back to the top of the list. I'm not sure about this forum, but most forums have specific rules about the frequency of allowed bumps.
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33676 is a reply to message #33671] Thu, 23 October 2014 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Thanks for answering NotPETA's questions Doyle. On the frequency issue - it's once per day.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33677 is a reply to message #33676] Thu, 23 October 2014 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
NotPETA,
You may find this recoil table handy: http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Your own experience may vary, depending on the load you use and the weight of the firearm. My personal recommendations for youth (you didn't specify ages and builds - some kids are larger than others and can handle more) would be:

7mm-08 - I love the 7mm, and this is an awesome cartridge.
.25-06 - Little harder to find ammo, but a great little quarter bore round.
6.8 SPC - Ammo is getting easier to find, but the hunting loads are not showing up in stores. I might have to rescind this recommendation if hunting ammo doesn't show up soon (I reload, so it doesn't affect me - but for you, it would be different, since you want factory loads).
.243 - You can load way up or way down.
.357 Max - You can shoot .38 Spcl, .357 Mag, and .357 Max from it. This is what my 10 year old has been shooting recently. He loves it.

You also didn't mention range. That makes a big decision in the recommendation as well.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2014 21:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33680 is a reply to message #33677] Thu, 23 October 2014 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Also, if you run across a good deal on any of the following, they make ideal low-recoil deer rifles:
.257 Roberts
.250 Savage
6mm Remington
.30-30Win
.44 Mag (quite decent up to about 100 yds)
Re: WTB Encore Barrel setup for small White-tail [message #33684 is a reply to message #33680] Fri, 24 October 2014 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
You mentioned the prohunter barrels. They will fit all the frames (except one fixed barrel). However, When I conjure up "Prohunter barrel" what pops up is a 28" fairly heavy fluted barrel. Ok, the flutes help keep it lighter, But aren't those a bit "wieldy" for a youth? T/C designed the super 16 Contender barrel as "fit" for use as a youth carbine OR and adult Pistol barrel. the 21" was great for kids and slight women as well. Now they are 23 and bulls. Comparable in the encore would be the 24". 28" tho???? Personally I wouldn't use one myself as a rifle. Too difficult to get around in really thick cover. Carried with a sling, in the winter I got annoyed enough with how the 21 dumped snow down the back of my neck. Another 8 inches would have been way worse. For youth I'd suggest keeping it on the shorter side, say 16-20/22 or so. Maybe one place to start would be to take the kids to a gun store with the "clothes" they'd be hunting in and tryout a few for "size" (stocks and barrel lengths). It's a bit difficult to shoot accurately if the gun doesn't fit right.
Jim
Previous Topic: What T/C Do You Regret Selling?
Next Topic: Odd caliber barrels question.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:35:43 EDT 2024