Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help
Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33836] Sat, 01 November 2014 21:25 Go to next message
recondoc is currently offline  recondoc
Forum Newbie
After much planning and research, I decided to drop my hard earned money on a T/C Encore. I found a pretty good deal on a Pro Hunter .308 at a gunshow that was only a few hours from the house today. It was still in the box and unopened. I dropped my money, did my paperwork and then set out to find some glass for it. Another couple of deals later, I had my Leupold 4-12 and a set of Leupold QR rings and base for it .
Now comes the disappointment. I drove it back home, opened the box and was amazed to find that it won't cock. Not mater what, it will not cock with the barrel in place. I removed the barrel and can hand trip the disconnector to cock it but it won't do so with the barrel mounted.
Is there any DIY solution to this problem or do I have to sit around and wait for TC to send me a replacement set of locking lugs? I was really hoping to get this gun to the range and sight it in tomorrow for a hunt on Monday.
Any and all help welcome.
Thanks,
Doc

Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!

[Updated on: Sat, 01 November 2014 21:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33841 is a reply to message #33836] Sun, 02 November 2014 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
765bowhunter is currently offline  765bowhunter
Novice Contributor
I have a muzzle loader that the hammer won't go back on from time to time, I read somewhere that this could be due to a out of spec stock bolt, now I'm not sure where I heard that or of it is the case, but all I know is that if I close the barrel a little harder, the hammer works fine, but sometimes I have to slam it a little. If that does not work you could look into the stock bolt, good luck to you.
Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33842 is a reply to message #33841] Sun, 02 November 2014 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
"slamming a little harder" makes your locking bolts slide back under the table further pushing the interlock safety more perpendicular to the frame. The permanent fix (and easy to do) is to stone down the top angled portion of the locking bolts. Ideally, and a target to quit sroning is keep going with it untill you can "sneek" the barrel closed and it locks up tight by feel and sound. Now you should be able to get the hammer to cock easy and reliably. Each barrel/frame combo is totally unique, Due to the + and - tolerance for both the frame and the barrel; one combo at the extremes is what's causing the problem. Most times it's a 10 minute or so fix, sending it back to S&W may never get it "fixed". Just luck of the draw, and you happened to get the short straw. And don't think you're the only one that has had this happen, if you check the archives and older posts it's been brought up MANY times.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 03 November 2014 00:07]

Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33853 is a reply to message #33842] Mon, 03 November 2014 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
First thing to determine if it is a frame problem or a barrel problem. You really need to find another barrel to stick on and try. Even if you just go into a gunshop and "borrow" a barrel, find yourself another barrel to try.
Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33856 is a reply to message #33853] Mon, 03 November 2014 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The answer is yes

Do this check first (taking pics would be nice too)
- Open the frame
- with a marker, color the top of the locking lug.
- Open and close the barrel several times
- Now look at the lug and where/if any of the marker has rubbed off

I'm expecting you will see very little color removed, if any

If this is the case, then...
- Punch out the roll pin that keeps the lug in place
- Remove the lug
- Set the spring in a magnetized dish
- Carefully stone the top of the lug, keeping the top flat on the stone.
- Clean the lug, recolor it, put everything back together and test
--- repeat this until the marker color goes HALF WAY up the lug.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 03 November 2014 11:13]

Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33857 is a reply to message #33856] Mon, 03 November 2014 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Knew it was out there some where, now I have to go find the pics again... nuts

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&g oto=25916&&srch=locking+lug#msg_25916

(Hey, who would have thought I put them away? Pics are restored)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 03 November 2014 11:18]

Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33900 is a reply to message #33857] Wed, 05 November 2014 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I'm going to resurrect this thread with a minor delema I find myself in. I picked up a barrel (great looking barrel too) from a member here. I put it on the frame that normally holds my muzzleloader barrel. No joy - hammer won't go back. I had almost resigned myself to an evening of tedious gunsmithing stoning the locking lugs when I got the idea to try that barrel on my other frame. Sure enough, the barrel on the 2nd framed fit together perfectly.

Now, for the big question. Would you put in the time to stone the lugs so that it works for both frames or would you just live with it working on the one frame?
Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33904 is a reply to message #33900] Wed, 05 November 2014 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I don't know about you but for me it would be a PITA to 1. remember just which frame it would work one, and 2. WTF would I do if I got yet another barrel that had the same problem a) buy a couple more frames hoping to find one that it works on, or b) kick my self in the ass for not making sure that every barrel fits any frame I have so I don't have to either remember what fits what, of dedicate a frame and receiver just because that combo works. If the second, I may as well not have switch barrel guns cuz for the same money I could have had a bolt action repeater in every chambering I wanted. I hope that answered your question, for me there was only one obvious answer and it WASN'T "skip the stone".
Jim
Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33911 is a reply to message #33904] Thu, 06 November 2014 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I really have to concur with James on this one. At least for me it would be a no-brainer. Stone the lugs and make it a switch barrel for my uses anyway. Better in the long run.

I guess I am pretty lucky have only had to stone a very few barrel lugs to make barrels work. I have several barrels and a few frames in both Contender and Encore, so really need them to switch. BTW, it has not been a problem switching barrels as far as accuracy goes. All seem to shoot just as well which ever frame they wind up on. Just my .02 cents worth.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33912 is a reply to message #33911] Thu, 06 November 2014 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
You guys are probably right. Even though I'm in the fortunate (or maybe it is unfortunate) position of only having 2 frames to worry about, I still would like it to work on both. I'll wait until after hunting season though. I bought this barrel (.35 Whelen) specificaly to use during our rather strange primitive weapons season. Only MS could come up with the idea that a modern cartridge like the .35 Whelen is OK for primitive weapon. Season starts Nov 21 and now that it is mounted on that frame, I've got to get to the range and get it sighted in. When the 2nd primitive weapon season ends later in the year, I won't have need of that barrel anymore so I can take it down for smithing.
Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33915 is a reply to message #33912] Thu, 06 November 2014 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Before you go to that much work, try swapping the lugs on your barrels. You may find enough play that it fixes the problem.

Re: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help [message #33944 is a reply to message #33915] Sun, 09 November 2014 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Like Crubear, I have a couple of lug and spring sets. I stoned and find it oddly relaxing, but one of my tender frames is very fickle, and by just changing from a single to a two piece lug or vice versa, made all the difference. Even going from a single to a single with a different spring helps in certain barrels. Not saying that this is an answer, just an option.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Previous Topic: 23" SS 7-TCU Contender exist?
Next Topic: G1 Contender, trigger guard stop screw is loosed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 17:27:17 EDT 2024