Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » G1 Contender, trigger guard stop screw is loosed.
G1 Contender, trigger guard stop screw is loosed. [message #33961] Tue, 11 November 2014 10:10 Go to next message
ncdeerhunter is currently offline  ncdeerhunter
Forum Newbie
I have G1 Contender pistol. When I tried to disassemble the grip, the trigger guard stop screw (part list #38 in page 19 of manual, http://stevespages.com/pdf/thompsoncenter_contender.pdf) is falling to floor, so obviousli it is loosed.

What is this screw for? Should I tight it?

picture is here:

http://s29.postimg.org/v7sh3uw2f/image.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2014 10:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: G1 Contender, trigger guard stop screw is loosed. [message #33962 is a reply to message #33961] Tue, 11 November 2014 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
It's what pushes the trigger group back into place after you pop open the barrel. Yes, tighten it. Try a dab of fingernail polish to help keep it in place. I liked to keep things neat, so I'd set it to keep the frame and trigger group even.

For those with the Herrett grips, if you don't screw this in far enough you will push out (read that as break) the front of the grip.
index.php?t=getfile&id=5571&private=0

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2014 10:39]

Re: G1 Contender, trigger guard stop screw is loosed. [message #33965 is a reply to message #33962] Tue, 11 November 2014 11:42 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
That screw is what keeps the spring in place so it doesn't fall to the floor everytime you swap the pistol grip and buttstock. The only time it needs to be removed is to take the trigger guard out of the frame. Some are straight some tapered or more cone shape, depending on which frame model you have. The cone ones the bigger end UP(inside the "hole". Parralel ones it doesn't matter. They should screw in a pretty good ways. It shouldn't loosen up on it's own. You can put a little tiny drop of lock-tite(blue) on the end, no more than 3 threads worth or better yet "smear" a little on on just one side, not all the way around the whole thread. new screws from the factory bought as replacements already come with loctite on them. You could put the drop on the end and let sit a while to "set" then screw it in. BTW, most G-1 frames have a real tiny set screw that comes in from the back to keep that screw from turning. once you have it set in place, snug down the set screw (be careful so you don't strip the allen wrench or it's socket. In your owner's manual for the parts list and sketch it's #38A. The screw is #38, the spring is 24-6 or 8 (for your blue easy open swing lever hammer version, same with the angry cats)
pre-ser# 195,000 the spring was straight sided.
Jim

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2014 11:43]

Previous Topic: Kind of disappointed in T/C - Need Help
Next Topic: Experienced my first "loose fit" barrel - How do I fix?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:22:49 EDT 2024