Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Cerakote
Cerakote [message #34412] Fri, 05 December 2014 13:25 Go to next message
Ricochet is currently offline  Ricochet
Forum Newbie
I have never dealt with this type of thing before so I would like a little insight before I have it done. My Encore frame is a little rough, I got it from a guy that used it with a muzzleloader barrel and apparently never cleaned it so it has pitting on the breech face. I bought it fairly cheap and I pretty much paid a barrel price for the whole gun so I dont feel too bad about it. It has a new firing pin bushing in it and I got it to shooting pretty good with handloads. I do, however, still have to look at the pitting everytime I use it and, frankly, makes me cringe (OCD). I just cant believe how some people treat their guns!! I was really concerned about headspace issues but everything seems to be working fine with no pressure signs. (it came with a new 7mag barrel, Im sure the muzzleloader barrel is toast somewhere}
My G2 contender is practically new with no scratches and looks great. My concerns are really not about how they will look ( I think that the coating in matte black is really sharp looking) I am more concerned about the durability. I wanted to pick your guys' brains about this before I commit. I am definitely gonna do it with the Encore. Just asking in case some of you guys have had it done. Likes? Dislikes? Any thoughts?
I like the thought of coating the receivers and all of the barrels/scope mounts/rings, they do look good that way. Oh, btw, I am a Krylon user from way back, lol, so this type of thing really appeals to me!

All help is appreciated fellas!
Re: Cerakote [message #34416 is a reply to message #34412] Fri, 05 December 2014 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Cerakote is one of the best options for a sprayed-on finish at this time. I've been a long-time user of Duracoat, and although I haven't had any issues with applying it or having it hold up, if I were to do it all over again, I probably would have started with Cerakote due to its durability.

Please be aware that all of the sprayed on coatings such as Cerakote and Duracoat are ultra thin, so they really don't cover up any pitting at all. If you want to fill in pits prior to the application of the spray finish, I don't know of anything recommended by Cerakote to do so. I've seen people fill, sand, fill, sand, etc... but it's wasting a lot of paint in the process, and it's not really proper. I've never used the Duracoat filler, but they do make one - http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.d isplay&category_ID=915

Duracoat worked really well on my barrels, frames, and even on a wood forearm for my son's rifle. I haven't had any issues with scratches, peeling or any other paint issues, but the one thing that really bummed me out and made me want to go to Cerakote instead is that the Duracoat hardener only has a 6 month shelf life. I didn't know that, and ordered a lot of Duracoat all at once, expecting to stockpile it for when I needed it. I ended up with large containers of Duracoat paint, with a bunch of small bottles of dried up hardener. I can order more hardener when I need it, but supposedly the paint also has a relatively short shelf-life of 12-18 months.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Cerakote [message #34419 is a reply to message #34416] Fri, 05 December 2014 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks Cajuntec, I appreciate your sharing! Im not really worried too much about the looks of the pitted breech as much as I was about it continuing to rust so I am glad to hear of the durability of it. I am thinking, and someone feel free to correct me if im wrong, that the shell casing headspaced to the firing pin bushing instead of the frame. He came by tonight and I sent the frame and two barrels with him. Should have it done next week sometime. Im looking forward to getting it back as I have not even shot the .308 barrel yet!
Re: Cerakote [message #34461 is a reply to message #34419] Sun, 07 December 2014 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
I got a frame that had been on a muzzle loader also. I got it Cerakoted in a brown color. It turned out great. Go ahead and get a new firing pin bushing because the old one will continue to rust and cause your barrel to rust.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 December 2014 17:38] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cerakote [message #34510 is a reply to message #34461] Tue, 09 December 2014 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks jp, it has a new bushing in it and seems to shoot fine. How was your frame before you coated it as far as the severity of the pitting? Just wondering if it will still be as noticeable.
Re: Cerakote [message #34603 is a reply to message #34510] Thu, 11 December 2014 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My pitting wasn't in noticeable spots really. More on the inside of the frame and on the firing pin bushing. You may also need to measure your headspace after getting coated. I had to sand my firing pin bushing down a few thousandths to keep from pushing against your barrel.
Re: Cerakote [message #35086 is a reply to message #34603] Fri, 26 December 2014 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Got my gun back today. Looks great!! Of course it didnt fix the pitting problem but it sure made it less noticeable. He coated the frame, inside and out, two barrels, bases and rings and all of the screws. I am more than pleased, he did a great job on it!! Cant wait to shoot it tomorrow
Re: Cerakote [message #35118 is a reply to message #35086] Sat, 27 December 2014 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds great. What color did you get?
Re: Cerakote [message #35119 is a reply to message #35118] Sat, 27 December 2014 23:26 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
I decided to go with black. Got to try the 7 mag today on a nice 8 point. I may need to get more guns Cerakoted if it brings that kind of luck! May try the .308 barrel tomorrow, one tag left.
Previous Topic: Latest info I got from S&W/T/C
Next Topic: barrel lenght
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 02:45:25 EDT 2024