Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » How do you hold your T/C pistol?
How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34750] Tue, 16 December 2014 23:11 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
After seeing a few topics on this, and thinking back to all the different ways I've tried, I wanted to see if what I am doing matches up close (or is totally different) from what others are doing.

I first tried to do a modified version of the double handed grip the way I do with all my other pistols - strong/dominant hand holding the pistol, with my support hand fingers wrapped around the strong hand fingers. That hurt. Didn't do that again after the first time I mashed my fingers with the trigger guard spur.

I knew from watching video's not to grip the forearm with my support hand. It didn't feel natural anyway, so I just never shot it that way. Held it that way to see how it felt, but quickly dismissed shooting that way.

What I've ended up doing is alway using some type of support on the forearm. Most of the time, it's a Harris bi-pod of varying length, depending on my shooting situation. Sometimes, it's shooting sticks. Sometimes, it's the frame of my ground blind. And other times, it has simply been the natural nook of a tree or a low hanging branch that I can get a good rest on. But my grip is also different than any other pistol I shoot. I grip the pistol with my strong hand, ensuring that the placement (I've practiced) of my trigger finger is proper when I have gripped the pistol. But my support hand cups the bottom of the pistol grip (cup and saucer or "teacupping" grip). A long time ago, I constantly shot a semi-auto that way. It's how I was first taught in the Navy with .45's, but they changed a few years after I joined to the double-handed grip. I no longer shoot any other pistol that way... except for my Encore. Along with a proper front rest, I haven't had any issues beating up my wrist with recoil, or my fingers with any part bashing into them, and I have a very stable, controllable grip on my pistol.

So... How do you do it?

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Tue, 16 December 2014 23:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34761 is a reply to message #34750] Wed, 17 December 2014 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Like you with a bipod prone or sitting; sometimes standing, and use a rock/log/branch/fencepost under the forearm. if a rock the offhand would be flat on the branch/rock palm down. Prone off hand fisted or twisted sideways, bottom of grip just sitting on the offhand. make a fist or relax a bit toraise or lower the grip bottom, never "grip" anything with the offhand on the gun or other hand/arm (hold and trigger hand/arm). I've never shot any handgun with two hands, after all, ATF definition of a handgun is a gun desined to be held and shot with one hand, two hand holds is supposed to be for rifles or shotguns. generally standing 90 degree's offset with target. Arm outstretched, offhand on waistwith the second five rouund magazine in hand or holding magazine in left back pocket for quick removal (target shooting).
In the field Bipod is always second choice/backup if there isn't some other natural rest handy. Optional bipod use sitting, depends on time I can afford for positioning. 90% of the time I have plenty of time to get positioned good. Sometimes I may lean the off arm against a tree then use it for a "rest" to lay the gun on sort of like making a branch right where I need one, especially if the tree is a 3 foot diameter cottonwood. I keep a bipod in a pouch attached to my hoster. I can have it out and attached, legs down in about three seconds. If going to sit, it's out and on the sling swivel stud befor my butt hits the ground. Prone it's on and attached by the time both knees and elbows hit the ground.
Forearm isn't a handle, it just keeps the hinge pin from coming out. Otherwise it may be so the barrel isn't resting on a fencepost ,rock,log or branch. One hand on the grip (holding) other hand my be under the grip, but doesn't grip anything, just a "prop", like a rolled towel.
Jim
Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34762 is a reply to message #34761] Wed, 17 December 2014 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Well you veterans are making me feel better about my shooting. I can't shoot one of these single shot pistols worth a dang offhand. I have to prop on something. I usually just prop on my stand, but carry an expanding mono-pod if I plan on hunting while walking with it. I hold mine with strong hand and support with offhand sort of on the side and bottom, making sure to keep out of the way of the trigger guard (Glenn's modified teacup if you would). If shooting a heavy recoiling caliber at the range on sandbags, I sometimes cup my strong hand and wrist with my off hand to keep my strong hand from flipping back so hard.
Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34770 is a reply to message #34762] Wed, 17 December 2014 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Encore with 15" barrel isn't designed as an off-hand pistol Wink

10" Contender though, excellent. Unless you're shooting a hot 44mag or very hot 357 Herrett with your hand wrapped around the grip. I can still feel the pain as I relearned that lesson over a few times. I eventually settled on cupping my strong hand with the the other under the grip.

Everything else is supported by something. Bipod, tree branch, pack, whatever

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 17 December 2014 10:47]

Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34777 is a reply to message #34770] Wed, 17 December 2014 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I've shot my 14" 7TCU off-hand a few times, generally an ignorant (or horny) deer at 15-20 FEET. Once a coyote at 85 with the same gun. Didn't waste any time, squeezing the trigger once up. Would I even think of doing it with my 14" 358 JDJ at an elk at 300?
Nah!! Not so much the recoil, but the room for error is much smaller. I owe it to the critter to make sure it's a quick and clean kill.
1911 A1 and my high standard 5 1/2" .22 Victor at 52 oz is always a one hand offhand thing. That 14" rig is pushing 4 #. Last time I hunted with a rifle was 1977, antelope hunt with a Ruger 77 in 280 Rem.
Jim

[Updated on: Wed, 17 December 2014 16:44] by Moderator

Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34934 is a reply to message #34777] Tue, 23 December 2014 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Yea I learned from experience,Do Not forget to get your thumb out from behind the hammer when shooting at flushed grouse with a 45/410 barrel!
Pulls the nail off quite well!
Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34940 is a reply to message #34934] Tue, 23 December 2014 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Thanks Mark, I needed a cringe moment as I imagine you pain...

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #34947 is a reply to message #34940] Tue, 23 December 2014 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
screw the pain, did you get the freakin grouse?
Jim
Re: How do you hold your T/C pistol? [message #35066 is a reply to message #34947] Fri, 26 December 2014 04:00 Go to previous message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Missed the grouse clean!
Took my agree action out on a squirrel a short time after though!
Previous Topic: Questions From a New Guy
Next Topic: Stainless encore with blue barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 22:57:20 EDT 2024