Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Rynite stock absorbs recoil! (modification to stock per Jim Gammel's recommendation)
Rynite stock absorbs recoil! [message #34860] Sat, 20 December 2014 17:16 Go to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
I've been experimenting with various wildcat cartridges in my contender carbine.
I am not a large fellow and my rifle set-ups largely consist of super 14 bbls with permanently attached muzzle brakes to exceed 16" accompanied by youth model buttstocks.
When using 444 Marlin based wildcats and nominal volumes of smokeless powder I've been experiencing quite the punishment... Spit flying across my face and thinking to myself "Was that Mike Tyson?"
While discussing loads with a Whelen shooter on this site, Jim chimed in with:
If you put a good bit of lead shot in that rynite buttstock you'd have a lead sled minus the sled. By not filling complete, say from 2-6 # You could regulate just where in the buttstock the weight would be added, closer to the grip, midway, or next to the pad.(he3lp balance the gun not to be so front heavy, etc. The rynite is almost weightless, but the walnut contender stocks only add a little weight to the mix. A whole 21" carbine is floating +/- 4 Pounds including a scope mount and scope.
Experimenting to find out where in the stock the lead "feels" best and helps balance the gun for you Put lead shot in heavy zip-locks. Then use those goofy foam peanuts to keep that ziploc where you want it to "stay",Front and back of it. More forward, just less peanuts ahead, more back, add more peanuts, and less behind to the pad. When you find the magic spot for you and the cartridge/load you'll be using, you can replace the peanuts with spray foam, and make it more permanent. Set it up for your nastiest shooter, the others will feel more like shooting a 22.

Jim
Well, I took his suggestion and filled that puny black buttstock with baggies of #6 shot and about 9 .50 cal. cast maxiballs and I am here to tell you that the same loads that once rocked my world now feel about like a hot 30-30 with a 170 gr. bullet!
Thank you, Jim Gammel!, you've spared me much discomfort and saved me a whole lot of Tylenol and ice packing.
A simple phillips head screwdriver to the buutplate exposes a cavernous void in those rynite stocks and the 'recoil remedy' is fast and easy.
Thanks again,
Jimmy

Think twice...shoot once.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 December 2014 17:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Rynite stock absorbs recoil! [message #35585 is a reply to message #34860] Sat, 10 January 2015 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
I was thinking about that same idea myself!
My .35 with the Hornady Lever Revolutions rocks pretty hard compared to some other guns with the same load!
I think I will have to try it,even if just to balance things a bit better!
It is way too muzzle heavy now!
Re: Rynite stock absorbs recoil! [message #35586 is a reply to message #35585] Sat, 10 January 2015 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
That Jim is a smart guy!
Re: Rynite stock absorbs recoil! [message #35599 is a reply to message #35586] Sat, 10 January 2015 11:33 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
"Jim is a right fart smeller, oops I mean smart feller". Lets just say been around the block a time or two and leave it at that.
Jim
Previous Topic: Bergara barrel moving when locked up.
Next Topic: Encore frame won't reset itself to Saftey.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 05:15:03 EDT 2024