Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Encore & Contender Pistols - Accuracy / Recommendation questions
Encore & Contender Pistols - Accuracy / Recommendation questions [message #34939] Tue, 23 December 2014 10:13 Go to next message
56 kodiak shooter is currently offline  56 kodiak shooter
Novice Contributor
are the encore & contender pistols hard to shoot accurately & which one would you recommend & caliber for deer hunting in pa., thanks Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 25 December 2014 12:17] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: pistols [message #34942 is a reply to message #34939] Tue, 23 December 2014 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
They are every bit as accurate (and sometimes more so) than any other platform. Sometimes they take a bit of work and tweaking, but that's true of any platform.

Since you state pistol, I'll work from there. If you reload, then the sky's the limit. If you want lighter to carry, then go with the G1 Contender. The adjustments you can make with the trigger (take up and over-travel) make it easy to get just right. First decide how far you want to shoot, and then find the cartridge that will do it. 357 Maximum is probably a good place to start, although the JDJs are sweet too.

If you're going to go for longer ranges, or want to use 308 based (or bigger) cartridges you'll have to go with the Encore. For this you can get barrels for pretty much anything you can shoot in a rifle.

In either case, the nice thing is you can try it one way - decide you made a mistake - and then repeat with a new barrel.... it's all part of the addiction

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: pistols [message #34944 is a reply to message #34939] Tue, 23 December 2014 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

As for the accuracy of these pistols the answer is a resounding yes they are very accurate. Now it should be obvious that the longer heavier barrels of the 14 and 16 inches in Contender and the 15" or longer of the Encore are not meant to be shot offhand from a bipod or rest they are as good as many rifles or better. In the 10" versions for the Contender being shot offhand they are very well balanced and shoot great also. I have a couple of 22 long rifle semi-auto pistols and a carry pistol or two but I hunt with a Contender.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: pistols [message #34945 is a reply to message #34944] Tue, 23 December 2014 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
thanks, where I hunt a long shot is 50-75 yards
Re: pistols [message #34946 is a reply to message #34945] Tue, 23 December 2014 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
At that range you can dang near club em to death. The 10" Contneder probably has the best and widest selection for deer killers at that range, lighter and quick and easy to handle. 357 mag, 357 max, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 win mag are all quick deer slayers at that range. I'm guessing allegheny mountains forests is your deer area? The deer in that area tend to be on the smaller size than the western farm areas of Pa. where longer shots may be more likely or possible. Also, there are plenty of trees to use a branch/limb to use as a rest. Those cartridge selections are pretty much in recoil order from lightest to heaviest which may influence your decision.
Jim
Re: pistols [message #34954 is a reply to message #34946] Tue, 23 December 2014 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
actually I hunt in the appalacian mts. south central pa.
Re: pistols [message #34957 is a reply to message #34954] Tue, 23 December 2014 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I spent many years and hunt days near Tionesta close to the allegheny river (8/9 miles). Turn right at endeaver then a while later a left along beaver creek. Folks had a cottage/hunting camp on top of one of the so/called mountains (just a hill compared to the real mountains here). Kelletville was a hangout if you want to check a map Neighbors had farms with pretty large open fields where there may be almost a mile of clearings, otherwise you might find open clear-cut areas from logging in the deeper woods.
Jim
Re: pistols [message #35001 is a reply to message #34957] Wed, 24 December 2014 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
made the jump today bought a contender in 357 mag., it has a 10in. barrel & a 3x redfield scope,does anyone know what factory loads to shoot out this that are descent, by the way a paid 600.00 for it was this to much?
Re: pistols [message #35002 is a reply to message #35001] Wed, 24 December 2014 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Randy;
Congratulations and welcome to the world of Contenders. I am really not much help in the ammo for the 357, but then I hand load and it is so rare that I shoot any factory ammo. What is the gun like older newer G2, G1. Tell us all about it and pictures are always the best. I have some pix to post before long of my newest acquired Contender frame. Some people may not like it but I sure do and I'm the one using it. It is a user too. Not just to waste away in the safe.
As to the price I not the best there either, what I will say is price is subjective. If you want it and can afford it get it. I will add this also you will never get rich when messing with guns, ( unless you are Johnny Morris). There is always something else to get or trade for something different and in the case of Contenders there are many more barrels to add to the cash and grips, stocks, and all sorts of things. Welcome to the addiction and have fun.
Merry Christmas.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: pistols [message #35006 is a reply to message #35002] Wed, 24 December 2014 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
600 wasn't a real good deal, but you weren't raped either. Frame: 275 for a good deal with grip. 200 that some have gotten for here (including ship) was a SUPER deal. If an SS frame, 325 is great, 350 pretty much going rate on an SS G-1. Barrel: 200, especially for a 10" bull. Forend, 20-30. Scope: Redfield 3X, maybe 125-150 for a decent deal. 275+200+30+150=655.00 So, welcome, you don't need a 55 gallon drum of KY yet
Jim
Re: pistols [message #35052 is a reply to message #35006] Thu, 25 December 2014 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
its blued with cougar on framed, from the serial # looks like it was made early 1970 its in real good shaped, hope it shoots as good as it looks, will be reloading later but right now I want to shoot it so getting some factory ammo, its has a regular contour barrel 10 in. in 357 mag will be getting other barrels, I feel the addiction already, hope you all have a merry christmas
Re: pistols [message #35055 is a reply to message #35052] Thu, 25 December 2014 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Contributor
Don't believe the serial # chart commonly quoted, those early years are WAY off. Scroll around the cougar's tail? Like the second pane: http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&t h=5094&start=0& ?
Jim
Previous Topic: Stainless encore with blue barrel
Next Topic: I need some help from G-1 and G-2 owners
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:43:51 EDT 2024