Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Questions From a New Guy
Questions From a New Guy [message #35046] Thu, 25 December 2014 05:53 Go to next message
OMC-MOOSE is currently offline  OMC-MOOSE
Forum Newbie
Hi all. I have been reading here the last few weeks or so and learning what I can. I just purchased an Encore Pro Hunter SS frame with a 7mm-08 barrel. I have a Talley base & rings set coming as well. I had a few questions I would be very interested to hear some experienced opinions on.

1. I'm curious as to what most of you like for a rest to shoot from at
the range? About the best I can find is a Caldwell Rock and just
use sandbags under the grip?

2. My scope of choice so far is the Burris 2 x 7 x 32 with Plex reticle.
My hunting is in the typical PA woods with the occasional shot on a
power line or field. A good friend is a Burris rep, so I can get a
good deal on any scope in the Burris line.

I'm sure some of your answers will provoke more questions from me...lol.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Re: Questions From a New Guy [message #35048 is a reply to message #35046] Thu, 25 December 2014 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
"sandbags under the grip" leads me to think you are talking Pistol version. Also the mention of 2-7X32 w/plex

As to the scope. The 2-7 Burris is one of the scopes in their line that has the posiloc option. It's a bit more than the non-posiloc scopes. But seeing that you have an "in" for a great deal, If it was me, I'd opt that route. If you take a small flashlight and shine it in the front of one each of one with and one without, You can see the HUGE difference in the tube that holds the adjustment innards. It is more of a PITA to get sighted in (remembering to loosen; adjust;, then snug down the lock-screw between shots, but once locked, it will stay locked sighted in for 20 years or more.
Jim
Re: Questions From a New Guy [message #35051 is a reply to message #35048] Thu, 25 December 2014 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Yes James, it is the pistol version. Thanks for the tip on the posiloc. I will look into that possibility.
Re: Questions From a New Guy [message #35054 is a reply to message #35051] Thu, 25 December 2014 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Johnstown Pa. we used to go there ocassionaly back in the 60's and 70's, generally for Church services on Sundays. It was a nice small town, hope it still is. Boat the allegheny? Used to be great Brown fishing.
Jim
Re: Questions From a New Guy [message #35057 is a reply to message #35054] Thu, 25 December 2014 11:10 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
The last flood in 77 pretty much spelled the end of Johnstown as you knew it. The mills closed and the town steadily went downhill after that. The Stonycreek & Little Conemaugh are the two rivers that flow through town. It used to be a great town and at one time was the largest producer of steel in the WORLD.
Previous Topic: New Encore pistol frame.
Next Topic: How do you hold your T/C pistol?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 07:25:39 EDT 2024