Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » barrel lenght (contender barrel )
barrel lenght [message #35092] Sat, 27 December 2014 09:06 Go to next message
56 kodiak shooter is currently offline  56 kodiak shooter
Novice Contributor
what length contender barrel do you recommend & what weight standard or heavy bull, it be used for whitetail deer & black bear in pa.,i have caliber narrowed down to two 7mm 08, 30-30 AI
Re: barrel lenght [message #35093 is a reply to message #35092] Sat, 27 December 2014 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I shoot a 12.5" contender for deer hunting, 45/70, 445wwk(my own wildcat), easy to carry and does not feel to long or muzzle heavy.
7-08 is a high pressure caliber only available in the encore.
30-30 is a great starting caliber. Depends on if you want light or heavier bullets, and how much recoil you want to endure.
Caliber also depends on if you reload or not. Check out the TC contender
caliber list and go from there. Enjoy!
Re: barrel lenght [message #35095 is a reply to message #35092] Sat, 27 December 2014 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Randy;
In the 7mm-08 you will have to have the Encore and in that the 15" barrel is the standard. You can order shorter barrels but I would not. That setup would more than handle deer, have never shot a bear so don't really know. In the 30-30AI the Contender will work and that would be a standard 14" barrel. That too would be great for deer and I would think bear. My personal opinion would be to stick with the standard barrel length for both guns. Some people prefer the 16" barrel on the Contender but that last two inches to me is not that much help. Although with a 16 you could add a shoulder stock and use it as a carbine. Good luck and happy New Year.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: barrel lenght [message #35096 is a reply to message #35095] Sat, 27 December 2014 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Honest deer and bear (to 250 yards)factory chambered contender cartridges in 14's no brakes: 7 TCU, 7-30 Waters,30-30 std or AI, 357 max, 35 Rem. I'm switching from 14's to 16's in all my barrels (SS) as pistols. 10's and 12's (esp with the M/T) was another of T/C's dumb ideas with the traditional rifle cartridges. They did get it right when they started the 16's: adult pistols, YOUTH carbines. The above calibers are fine/great in the 14's. If you're a not-so-great rifle shooter, the 10's could be used as a "dispatcher", especially if you may have to fight your way through thick brush/tangles for a wounded bear. But then for that any of the "mag" pistol cartridges would fill the bill(357 mag/max, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Win Mag).
Jim
Re: barrel lenght [message #35116 is a reply to message #35096] Sat, 27 December 2014 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I know the 7mm-08 seems to be a favorite in the encore pistol package, but I have a 15" pro-hunter .270 for mine also. So far, I get better groups with the .270 than the 7-08 with my hand loads. I even get better groups with factory ammo and the .270 will get your more range than the 7-08 if you don't mind the recoil. I bought the 7-08 with the intention of selling the .270 but since the .270 shoots better, I decided to hang on to it. I however, typically carry either the 7-30 waters or 7tcu in the contender but hunt in close quarters. If I hunted in Wyoming like Jim, I myself would opt for the .270 for the longer shots that may present themselves. I also believe that in rifle cartridges, the 14 or 15" barrels are a better idea. That much powder in a short barrel just causes too much muzzle blast. On the other hand, pistol calibers work great in the shorter barrels. Just my rookie 2cents. Smile
Re: barrel lenght [message #35124 is a reply to message #35116] Sun, 28 December 2014 08:23 Go to previous message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
I use a Super 14 in 30-30 standard for Whitetail and Black Bear. Shots here range 100 yrds or less. 150 gr. factory loads work superb in the 14" barrel and 165 Noz partitioner's hand loads are fantastic. I would stay clear of the 10" 30-30's. There are many articles written on why but the best are in the Barnes Reloading #3. Not to say you can't hunt or reload them just not easy. That is my Tender opinion.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Previous Topic: Cerakote
Next Topic: Encore locking bolts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:33:54 EDT 2024