Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » muzzle brake (what muzzel brake)
muzzle brake [message #35368] Mon, 05 January 2015 14:45 Go to next message
56 kodiak shooter is currently offline  56 kodiak shooter
Novice Contributor
what muzzle brake would you recommend or magna porting
Re: muzzle brake [message #35369 is a reply to message #35368] Mon, 05 January 2015 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
what are you looking to brake?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: muzzle brake [message #35375 is a reply to message #35369] Mon, 05 January 2015 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Funny answer: Neither, shoot reduced loads.

I personally don't like magnaporting, based on nothing more than opinion. You can't turn it off (like removing the brake).

I'm going to answer the rest based on your other question about 45/70.

First, be careful with braking cast bullets. If your lead opens up (say, by shooting a too hot load) and the bullet engages the brake you will find the tug-of-war a bit on the entertaining side. The brake will probably not survive the experience, the barrel should.

As for brakes, the JP Howitzer brake (no experience, but lots of watched videos) does a significant job on recoil reduction and just plain looks cool.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

The other brake I've read good things about is the Holland
https://www.hollandguns.com/

Finally, my favorite is the Ross Brake. I've had this in a 460 and appreciated the difference. You can track him down on the Specialty Pistol site.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: muzzle brake [message #35399 is a reply to message #35375] Tue, 06 January 2015 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Al in Mi is currently offline  Al in Mi
Novice Contributor
+1 on the Ross brake
Re: muzzle brake [message #35416 is a reply to message #35399] Tue, 06 January 2015 20:05 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
David White does an excellent job with an add-on, albeit only in stainless. Bellm, does a super job with an integral, machines it into the existing barrel, so select one an inch or two longer than the actual rifling you want left.
Jim
Previous Topic: Which forend for a 18" Katahdin barrel?
Next Topic: Encore Black Powder Load
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:59:06 EDT 2024