Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Tight forarm (to tight)
Tight forarm [message #35417] Tue, 06 January 2015 20:13 Go to next message
bikerpipes is currently offline  bikerpipes
Novice Contributor
I got my new 44 mag barrel today my new pachmare forearm fits tight to the barrel there is supposed to be a gap right can I get longer forearm screws and shim them to get clearance between barrel and forearm.If so what is the size of the screws that attach the forearm.

If God brings you to it He will bring you through it.
Re: Tight forarm [message #35419 is a reply to message #35417] Tue, 06 January 2015 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
You might tell us which gun you're shooting, Contender or encore. They don't use the same forend screw diameter. If "new" doesn't the pachy have a hanger bar? Don't shim, use rubber o-rings. Encore: 8-40 Contender 10-32.
Jim
Re: Tight forarm [message #35441 is a reply to message #35419] Wed, 07 January 2015 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
It is a encore pro hunter pistol the barrel is a factory one. no hanger bar.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 January 2015 10:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tight forarm [message #35444 is a reply to message #35441] Wed, 07 January 2015 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I thought all pachy forends now use hanger bars, both Contender and encore? The contender one I know is a bit snug on the sides, but it's a floppy kind of rubber. I would think intentional so crap and water doesn't find it's way in. It should help absorb barrel harmonics, and not exert any pressure to "push" the barrel like a harder composite or wood forend would do. I don't know that "there is supposed to be a gap", where did you get that idea from? If you don't want a gap put a rubber o-ring between the barrel and the pachy, and just "snug up, don't try to squash the o-ring to paper thin or less, maybe just "half-compressed". Then an 1/8th inch o-ring would leave a 1/16th gap. The o-ring would act like a lock washer. You never want forend screws to bottom in the barrel's hole, so i wouldn't get longer screws. if you do, you may have to take up some more gap under the bottom of the forend's hole, that's the dog chasing it's own tail.
Jim
Re: Tight forarm [message #35445 is a reply to message #35444] Wed, 07 January 2015 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I just thought the forearm was supposed to be free floating not touch barrel.

Re: Tight forarm [message #35612 is a reply to message #35445] Sat, 10 January 2015 20:16 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Contender Pachy's use the hanger bar, Encore does not - and you have to watch which forend you get. There is/was a standard and magnum version. The standard version wouldn't engage enough threads and would rip out with the 460/500 Mags.

They can be tight on the Encore barrel, very tight - such that it takes the screws to seat it all the way. This is SUPPOSED to not be a problem because the "rubber" doesn't swell when hot/cold/wet

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: forend for encore bull barrel?
Next Topic: Accuracy Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 22:38:11 EDT 2024